1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MRPLOW, May 4, 2000.

MRPLOW LawnSite Member

Nobody has ever stolen a lawn customer from <br>me. You don't own customers. I have lost a <br>few lawns due to lower prices, but the new <br>people never did as good of a job as me, so <br>I felt satisfied that they got a lower <br>price and also a lower level of service. <br>Not everbovy wants full course <br>dinner(professional cut, edge, and trim), <br>some just want a plain old burger(low <br>guality mow, no extras)!
  2. southside

southside LawnSite Senior Member

Very true.<p>Karl<br>
  3. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Even with a plain ol lawn job. You still have to drive over to their house with 1000s oflbs of equipment and load and unload it and spend and hour or more at the persons house running 1000s of $ worth of equipment. We are the only type of business that will do this for monkey change. If you think differently call a plumber, air condition man, appliance man
  4. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

If the lawn mowing business had to be licensed like every thing else then there would be less opperators and higher prices.
  5. yardsmith

yardsmith LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Maybe I'm missing something, but everywhere I know of you DO have to be licensed. We all do here in Ohio; the service vendors license. $25 to start, & $10 a yr. renewal.<br>Anyone else not need a license??????<p>----------<br>Smitty ô¿ô<br>
  6. Jason

Jason LawnSite Senior Member

Smitty,<p>I actually found somewhere where you don't have to be licensed. I'm licensed in Washington. I live on the Idaho border. I called the state to ask what I needed to do to work in their state. I told them I was licensed and insured in Wash. and wanted to work in Idaho. They told me I didn't have to do anything. Don't even have to charge tax! The only thing is, if I make over $2500 there than I have to report it, otherwise I don't have to worry about it. If I were to apply pesticides than I'd have to be licensed, but for lawncare no license is required.
  7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Charles wrote:<p>{We are the only type of business that will do this for monkey change. If you think differently call a plumber, air condition man, appliance man}<p>If these other professions had to come to your house every week, year after year, they <br> wouldn't get nearly the money they do. Think about it. Ours is an almost assured source of income except for the occasional drought. I spend a lot of time in the Trades Forum on AOL and believe me, they go through some devastating dry spells. If you aren't making more money cutting grass than you did before you started in this biz then you are doing something wrong.
  8. Charles

Richard, those professions I mentioned probably make 120$ an hour plus 8 hours a day, all year long. Just using hand tools and parts. One plumber could do this much. As someone said in one other post said our pay hasn't increased much in the past 10 years. But our equipment has gotten more productive. But the equipment we use cost 2 or 3 times as much as it did 10 years ago.
  9. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

??????<p>1986 Toro 52&quot; 12.5hp Kaw $2886.00<p>2000 Toro 52&quot; 12.5hp Kaw $2589.00<br>
  10. Charles

I dont consider a 12.5 hp a commercial mower