Cut a customer loose

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nitrotim, Apr 7, 2006.

1. nitrotim

nitrotim LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

I thought I had 99% retention plus alot of new customers this year the one customer I lost due to him dying on me (imagine the nerve LOL) Anyway I was at this customers house because she wants a flower bed in the back and out of no where she tells me she only wants me to cut every two weeks. I said I usually don't do two week schedules but I would do it in her case because she is paying 60 wa week in therapy. I said to be fair if there is alot of rain in between cuts I would charge her an additional ten bucks. She balks and says no she can't do it its to much. I politely told her that it would be better if she found someone else to take of her property from now on since I could' cut my prices for her. ( Not to mention I didn't raise prices for her this year either) . I feel I made the right choice here. She was getting to be a little bit of a PITA so thats that. I didn't want to lose anyone but enough is enough.

2. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

I don't blame you.... You will find another account to take her place. We have some accounts that only get cut 2 times a month but thats all they grow. Good luck this year!!:waving:

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

You did the right thing, sorry to see it happen.

4. nitrotim

nitrotim LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

Thanks don't be sorry, I actually feel good about it. I know there is another customer around the corner so even though it bothered me at first I know its a door closed to a door opened.

5. StBalor

StBalor LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone ever notice, that it seems like when ever you lose a customer, you gain 1? Seems like whenever someone quits me or i quit them, i get a new client to take their place within a day or 2. And that new client always seems to have a friend.

6. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds good to me, alot can happen in two weeks. :cool2:

7. MowerMoney

MowerMoney LawnSite Senior Member

Thought that was just me.
    This year so far I've had 4 customers quit me (nephew will cut it, grandson will cut it, moved, & no reason given) BUT I have gained 5 new clients just from referrals and last years fliers.

8. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Good she was a pain, i have one myself never happy.

9. anj

anj LawnSite Member

I Had A Yard That I Cut Way Under Cost For A Lady. I Was Trying To Be Nice. She Became Real Pita So I Let Her Go. Her Yard Looks A Mess Now. I No What Happened To The Guy Before Me Now.

10. tfosterjr

tfosterjr LawnSite Member

Wonder if she asked her therapist to lower his prices.