cut a gas line today. should i discount service

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grass disaster, Oct 16, 2007.

1. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

i was out trimming hedges at the local funeral home . the meter was right behind the hedge. i knew it was there i guess i wasn't paying close enough attention.

i ended up calling 911. which i probably didn't have to do if i would have known right away there is a shutoff valve on the meter. i got it shut off finally and tried canceling the fire department, but it was procedure to come out anyway.

i got the local pluming and heating guys to come out and fix it. tomorrow i will find out how much that will cost.

it was a small 1/4 inch line cut almost half way through. gas was blowing out pretty good for about 3 min.

i called the owner and said i had cut the line but i had it all taken care of and it's fixed. would you give a discount for the possible gas loss(leak was after the meter)

2. KathysLGC

KathysLGC LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes I would. But first I would talk to the person doing the repair and ask them how much gas they think was lost. It might have been a few pounds or 30 pounds. I would then compensate the customer acordingly. It's only fair plus your honestly might get you more work.

3. jrc lawncare

jrc lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Cut one this year. Shut gas off quickly, and paid for repair. I look over all shrubbery much closer now before cutting.

4. shane mapes

shane mapes LawnSite Senior Member

a discount for sure ........ how much was it for repairs....you said you would find out tomorrow ..not good i would find out right then and their...... no surprises

5. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

well i did ask and he said a service call is standard $65. i'm sure it took him under an hour. pluss a couple fittings. so probably $75

6. shane mapes

shane mapes LawnSite Senior Member

with that said the repair wasn't bad at all ....hopefully the gas bill won't be bad . you being up front was the best deal good luck.....

7. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

It's fixed & 3 minutes of leaking won't cost enough to notice. You fixed it, properly notified the customer and no one was hurt.

Go ahead and bill as usual. If the customer has any heartburn he will tell you and then work out what he thinks is fair.

Oldtimer

8. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

I hit a gas line a couple of weeks ago with a gas auger. Repair was $133 and no charge for the lost gas. Line was 1/2" and was open for 4 or 5 minutes.
    Keep in mind the customer might have issues with restarting the gas appliances if the pilot lights goes out.

9. cpel2004

cpel2004 LawnSite Bronze Member

Dont discount your service in business everthing happens but its how the situation is handled the speaks volumes about you and your company. My recommendation would be a gift card or maybe a dozen of donuts.

10. The Cutting Edge Lawn Car

The Cutting Edge Lawn Car LawnSite Member

Dozen Donuts.........Yesssssssssssssssssssss......... Haha but I would pay for it to be properly fixed I would maybe drop off like 25% just for the inconvience and this would look great upon you and might land you a recommendation or some new accounts...Customer Service is Key!