Cut / Clean when ground is frozen

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Pat Daniels, Dec 12, 2003.

1. Pat Daniels

Pat Daniels LawnSite Member

Am a little behind on leaf clean ups and a few cutting jobs. The ground is froze now. No snow yet. Can I get out on the grass without hurting the grass. I use a 23/60 rider.
  2. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

If the ground is frozen, you will leave tire tracks in the lawn where it breaks off the blades while riding over it, and turn it brown.. My lawn was covered with frost, and I ran the walk behind over it to get to trailer and at nite when I got back, there was a spot looking like it will turn brown.
  3. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

It will be ok. I started a thread on this either last fall or last spring. I posted a pic from my front porch to the mailbox. You could see brown footsteps....there and back. The grass came back with no problems. If you are wondering, it was fescue.
  4. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

There was a post about this a few days ago. In general you should wait until the frost melts before getting on the lawn.

Are you talking about Frost or just frozen earth?

5. Pat Daniels

Im talking about frozen earth. I know you shouldnt get on the grass until the frost is off. I was wondering about the frozen top couple of inches you get this time of the year. I think im going to try it see what happens. I think I should be all right
  6. what about all the gc that are open when ground is frozen?

Keep off when frost is present, will damage the plants cells.
  7. John B Laidlaw

John B Laidlaw LawnSite Member

You didn't say how large an area but mowing at this time of year may do more harm then good. What height did you plan to mow? Generally, leaving 2 and half to three and half inches will help the turf with-stand dry cold winds better then cutting it short. What type of turf? What zone are you in?
    If its not covered in leaves its best to leave till spring. Even hand raking could stress turf out and cause problems later.
  8. Pat Daniels

Im 30 miles east of St Louis on the Illinois side. These are smaller lawns with thin or thick bladed fescue. I try to always cut at 3 and 1/2 inches.