1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

cut every 14 days

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by marcie, Jun 14, 2002.

1. marcie

marcie LawnSite Member

Ok guys, I'm sure someone has had this problem before ....... I would like to know how to work through this one

I have a client ( second year of service ) last year everything was fine, no complaints......... even once we got into August and she requested that her lawn be cut every other week because it wasn't growing. We said ok to this as we don't want to waste our time driving over to discover for ourselves that it doesn't need cut.

This year.......... she only wants it cut every other week all year long. And she has a problem with it because after 4 days it looks like it needs cut again.

I told her........ that with all the rain that we have gotten of course it needs cut weekly to look as good as it did last year

She will not go for that and she believes I should lower my price!! because it doesn't look as good as last year. So she feels like she is getting less service at the same price.

I haven't been able to convince her that she is asking us to cut her lawn actually 3-4 times to make it look good but only willing to pay once

She says if we only lower our wheels, then it would look good longer.............. ( I guess the rain has nothing to do with it )

I told her cutting shorter would leave more grass to be mulched up and that would mean cutting it even more times per visit and that cutting it shorter would promote weeds and not grass

All of this came about because she wants to pay less and I tried the line of " you get what you pay for" but that didn't float either

I guess I know I need to just be done with her but my biggest problem is she has a very large mouth and for some reason people listen to her and I don't want the bad publicity.

I just can't afford the overtime pay to send 2 man crews out to cut this small yard several times for the price of one cut and she doesn't want to budge either so I guess I need to get rid of her but is there anyway of doing that without her bad mouthing us

She says her neighbor and son in law have commented on how her yard doesn't look as good as it did last year so I know it has been topic of conversation

I need a tactful way of letting her go
  2. WashMoBrink

WashMoBrink LawnSite Member

Every year our local paper puts out a lawn care guide. There is always some place in that guide that says to cut 1/3 the length of the grass at a time. Get this type of documentation, show it to her and tell her that you can't have your reputation suffering if she doesn't want proper care taken. Either she cuts it as often as needed (every 3 weeks in August some years, and 3x week in May other years), or you can't risk people associating shoddy care with you.
  3. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

If I want to get rid of someone immediately, I will just say "It's nothing personal, but you should start looking for someone else". Or I will stick it out for the season, then send a letter the next year saying that I am scaling back my business and will no longer be able to provide service. Usually if someone is unhappy with the service they are getting, they go away. Believe me, getting rid of people like this will make your life so much easier. Mike
  4. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

my sympathies. people wouldnt tell their mechanic how to fix their car but they sure will get into our buisiness.undo everything u have done to make the place rite.worst thing is they want to blame u when it starts looking like c--p
    guess it depends on how much u need the money.

BRIAN GALLO LawnSite Senior Member

Your post could have been placed by me, and would be identical! These people make up most of my clientell. Unfortunately they don't seem to want to listen to reason. I now tell them that I can't afford to go over the lawn more than once and that they will have to live with the results or get more mowings. Some go for more cuts, others live with a mess. I don't like leaving the lawns messy, but we can't do them for free either!
  6. TGCummings

TGCummings LawnSite Senior Member

Be courteous and professional, but if they won't listen to reason you have to let them go.
  7. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

I tell 'em right fron the first encounter that I do not do "2 week cuts"...and why. Of course, if it drys up and doesn't need cutting I will skip it as I want the grass to live and be healthy so I can keep mowing it.

I have cut at least 7 of these types (your problem client) loose in the last 3 years...and I do not miss them one bit.

One of them was/is the long time treasurer of my neighborhood association...a very popular lady. I thought for sure that I would lose a few others just because I dropped her. That was sleep needlessly lost...I did not lose a single other account...some inquired-but ALL understood my position.

Like our pal Homer says...."If you dread it-SHED IT!"

That was some of the best advice I've ever received here on LawnSite! :D
  8. Cut 2 Please

Cut 2 Please LawnSite Member

I sure do wish that yall would send some of this rain you keep talkin about our way. All the grass around here is dying because it is so dry. Rain was forecasted for today but I haven't seen any yet. I have been doing my rain dance but it is not working. Please send the rain. We need it bad.
  9. GrassMaster84

GrassMaster84 LawnSite Member

Explain to her that I you cut it every other week you will have to charge her more than doing the yard weekly, and also the yard will not look as good if u do it everyother week!
  10. A1 Lawn@Landscapes

A1 Lawn@Landscapes LawnSite Member

We all work to earn $. We all have a comfort level as far as how much $ for how much effort/time. I personally hate dealing with long wet grass. I also dislike people who tell me how I should run my business. If you can, be rid of her.