Cut grass for free?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by jsprouse, Jun 25, 2007.

1. jsprouse

jsprouse LawnSite Member

Do any of you guys do any sort of referral incentives and if so how does it work?

Say for example, if a client refers a friend or neighbor and that friend or neighbor becomes a client I will cut your grass for free next time I make my weekly visit.

Any thoughts or suggestions or warnings?

2. Mountain Peak

Mountain Peak LawnSite Member

Once in a while I do a free mow for a referral but only if that referral ends up a weekly customer, not for one time work. Usually I'll add a discount instead of a free mow, it really depends on the customer and what work I got from them.

3. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

ITZ A THOUGHT,but i have soo many bills to pay itz not for me.

4. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

I wouldn't do a free mow, but I have done little things for free. Such as, small turf repairs when I have extra sod. Put down a couple bags of mulch when I have extra. Just little things when / if I have extra supplies and extra time.

5. sooner74

sooner74 LawnSite Member
    from UT

I give a $10 discount after the referred customer has been serviced and paid for a month of service, a free mow to customer if referred customer uses my services for 10 times or more. In the case a $10 discount has been given, the customer that made the referral only pays $10 bucks for one cut.

My average cost to obtain a customer whether I use flyers or the newspaper is right at $30 so it's a wash in terms of advertising dollars. I have found a referred customer usually last a lot longer then customers I picked up through advertising so I am sticking with the referral program.

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

You only do that if you want to grow. you offer 1 free mowing to a customer that gives you a sign on referral. It costs you what,...one mowing....so what. How much do you GAIN out of it by bringing on another customer - plus upsales. In the end, it really doesn't cost you. THIS is an incentive for customers to tell friends and neighbors....not ten measly bucks or a pizza coupon. That isn't really worth their time. Yes, yoou may get a referral or two over time, but not what you will get by giving out a real incentive.

7. kevinlane

kevinlane LawnSite Senior Member

What I have been doing is a 25% off the month deal for referrals that end up a weekly service. Seems to be working out.

8. clcare2

clcare2 LawnSite Member
    from indiana

50$ for a yearly contract. For most accounts this is one mowing.

9. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

It's a no-brainer...you only pay when you get a new client...imagine if you only paid the newspaper for the ad you ran whenever you got a new customer.

Customers tend to refer good people to me, and since they were referred, they don't seem to mind paying a good price to sign up.

10. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

Do a good job and soon you wont be able to handle the work that comes to you.... Why the He!! would anyone do anything for free?? Man, I've referred plenty of people to the gas stations, insurance co.'s and tax men that seemed to be nice and do good work, but I'm not getting anything for free. What am I doing wrong?