1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Cut in the rain?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cos, Apr 11, 2001.

1. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

Just wondering how many people cut in the rain? I will be cutting in light rain this year, cause I feel now, that there is alot of revenue lost and your schedule gets thrown out of whack.

Thoughts anybody?
  2. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

Sometime you gotta do what you gotta do. ;) Although it sucks when you gotta do it!
  3. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

hey, if i were in ur situation i would say go for it, only things i would worry about are equipment getting wet, and is it ok to mow in wet grass, does it effect looks and or growth, if answer to these are no, then i would go for it, its just water u know. today i spread a hole lot of mulch in the pouring rain, im still alive :))))
  4. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

If it's going to rain for several days, we put on the rain gear and hit it. If it's lightning out, we head for the house until it quits. Where we mow is one of the highest points around and I do have respect for lightning.

If it's just a one day all day rain, we just stay home. I'd rather mow when it's not so wet, especially if it's cold out. It's just not worth getting sick.
  5. jrebeiro

jrebeiro LawnSite Member

Just cut today in the rain. Mower held up well and clippings clumped a little. Went over with the blower and took a little longer but its better than doubling up on an already busy day :)
  6. Chip

Chip LawnSite Member

I have tried to cut in the rain before and customers complained they said they would rather the lawn get a little high then see mow in the rain. Maybe you could get away with it on commercial properties but I would be careful on residentials. Use rainy days for sidework or paper work and just work longer days on those sunny days.
  7. cajuncutter

cajuncutter LawnSite Senior Member

I do not mind cutting in the rain however I think my shortcut does. It cuts fine with the exception of the blades getting dull really fast. The problem I have run into is when I put the mower up for the weekend and it dries up my steering gets stiff. The t-bar set up doesn't like to get wet. So I pretty much do not cut in the rain any more unless I really have to. Also I hate it when I get cought in summer showers at the end of the day and the equipment is still hot. I put my stuff up in dry storage every day after we use it and reload in the mornings. It seems a hassle but I have come to not even liking dew on my equipment.
  8. cleancut

cleancut LawnSite Member

If I start on a yard, I always finish it...I've mow some commercial properties if it starts out raining in the mornings....However, I try to stay away from mowing residentials in the rain but that may have to change this year...Derrick
  9. little green guy

little green guy LawnSite Senior Member

We cut in the rain if we have to. Last year there where a couple days in the that we cut in the POURING rain, we got a bit wet but no compliants. Light rain we alaways cut in. The only thing that I hate is when the grass gets stuck to the deck than falls of in clumps when you hit a bump.

During lightning we try to just stay in the the big open fields. =) j/k
  10. swn

swn LawnSite Member

I don't mind a light rain, but hate those downpours. Do not like to leave a lawn unfinished though. What blades do you all like to use best in wet grass? Thank you.