1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

cut irrigation control wire

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by TimNNJ, May 22, 2012.

1. TimNNJ

TimNNJ LawnSite Senior Member

Ok we made a bed by the house and the guys cut the control wire..cut the yellow wire in half..home owner didn't tell me until she got the bill for $500.00 bucks..couldn't we have just twisted it back together?...or no..she said they said they couldn't..hmmm

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Would you sell the customer account for $500 and be happy to never see another dime from them? Irrigation wires are never "just twisted back together" - first you have to find the break, and then you have to mend it

3. TimNNJ

Just a general question if it could be repaired and not totally ripped out ..
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Wet_Boots

Pretty much all wiring can be repaired, but if you broke it in one place, why not multiple breaks?

5. TimNNJ

Skimmed it. She showed me.. I figured it could be fixed. I just thought he was taken for a ride. And I split it with her. And parted ways
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Stuttering Stan

Stuttering Stan LawnSite Bronze Member

It's not as simple as you may think. The irrigator had no knowedge as to where the wire was the cut. So he had to troubleshoot the problem, find the break, repair, run the system to ensure everything works, cleanup, and inform the client. Let's not forget to make a profit to cover wages, overhead, and gas. So it's not as simple as it appears.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Wet_Boots

$200 might be a minimum price for a repair in your area - just a repair

Basically, a landscaper never has priority when they break something. It gets repaired at full market value, and they get stuck with the bill for what they broke.

8. TimNNJ

I know.. Just wanted to check with you guys to make sure it to could be repaired. i dont know who she uses but said the owner came out and gbe the guys hell because they ahould of found the problem right away. All good thanks for the replies
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

True, though I've had breaks where the cold call told me to fix it and send the guilty party the bill......right :laugh::dizzy::dizzy:

10. Wet_Boots

We have lots of threads about tracking cut wires. it isn't always an easy find, especially if only a single wire is broken in a multi-conductor cable.