Cut it first,then figure amt.?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by allstar, Dec 10, 2003.

1. allstar

allstar LawnSite Senior Member

When spring arrives and customers begin calling me to give them estimates,I'm thinking about telling them this,"I'll do it for X amount today then give you a quote for regular service."
    Is this a good way to approach new customers?Thanks. Jim

2. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't know if that will work too well.

They may wonder why you can't give them a total price at the start.

3. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

jim--what do you hope to gain by that approach?

GEO

4. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

I have thought about that also. It would leave it open in case you run into somthing unexpected. If I can I moght try to give them a range. It will between this and this, I can give you an exact number after I have done it and know haw long it takes for sure. this doeas seam like you might not know what your doing though. Another problem is that the first cut of the season and even takng over in mid season always takes longer. If in the spring It might take twice as long. Usually cleaning up the mess left by the last guy, trimming and edging, sticks, leaves, etc....
    I usually give them a price but tell them the first cut will be higher for the above reasons.
    Give them a price and you can always lower it later.

5. lawnGUYnMD

lawnGUYnMD LawnSite Member

I personally wouldnt use that approch what if you charge 30 the first then want 50 the people will be like you didnt it for 30 before why not now and you risk losing customers. I usually get the sq ft and then mmultiply it by.04 for a stand yard and if its more difficult yard take it up some but thats me good luck.

6. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

Lawns guy

Yor method sound Ok. But If I figure it right

for a 5K yard

5000sqft X .04 = 200

Is that $200 for mowing a 5k lawn?
    That can't be right.
    around here 5k lawns go for $15-$20 per cut.

did you mean to say you take the sqft times $.004?

7. lawnGUYnMD

lawnGUYnMD LawnSite Member

yeah I forgot a 0 thanks for figuring that out for me :) meant to be .004 Thanks paul

8. Rick Jones

Rick Jones LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

Cut it first,then figure amt.?

People are going to want a firm price right from the beginning. I guarantee you will hear nothing but complaining when you tell them it's going to be $10-20 higher than the first cut. Then they will go and find somebody who is $5 less than you.

Like PaulJ said, maybe charge them a little more the first time to get things under control, then drop the price for subsequent cuts.

9. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

NO, it's not a good way to approach new customers. You should know what you're doing when giving a quote. That type of pricing is one more reason lawn guys look like fools half the time. Quoting a lawn really couldn't get much easier. It's not like you're doing work that may have hidden problems. It's all there right in front of you. Steepness of hills, bed layout, trees, access to property. What could really go wrong? The only thing that could go wrong is you don't know how to estimate properly, and that's not the customers fault. Be a professional, act professional, give them a quote and stick to it. Put yourself in their shoes, someone giving them a firm solid quote, or someone telling them they need to cut it once first. Who would you have more faith in?

10. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

.004 x 44,000 sq ft(roughly one acre) = $176.00.
    Don't think anyone around here would go for that price :)