1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

cut length?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tonirone, Oct 1, 2007.

1. tonirone

tonirone LawnSite Member

Whats a good length to cut grass, (mixture), crab, bahalia, all the bull crap? Is 2" to low?
  2. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

2" is going to be awfully low unless you are using a small mower. Most larger mowers will scalp a lot at 2" Usually 2.5" or so is pretty good for garbage mowing and still make it look decent. Higher than 3" and it just never looks mowed when you are done...
  3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

2.25" over here by Greenville. There is another LCO that cuts a Bahia lawn next to one of my customers and he's over 3" on that. It never looks like it's been cut.
  4. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

Up north here, cutting higher than 3" might not make the lawn look "cut", but it's the surest way to end up making a nice lawn out of a "garbage" lawn.
  5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

That's the same way it was when I lived in MD. it was normal for me to cut above 3" there. These Southern grasses are a whole different beast though. Once you get Bahia or Centipede growing good it kinda takes care of it's self. Most, as in about 90+%, people here lower the deck just as low as it will go and scalp it clean to the ground. Even at that there isn't a whole lot of crabgrass here.
  6. verant

verant LawnSite Senior Member

2.75 - 3 in. here in MN is standard
  7. KTO Enterprises

KTO Enterprises LawnSite Bronze Member

I have some friends in Greenville
  8. DillonsLawnCare

DillonsLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

i cut fescue at 3 - 3 1/2
  9. Juan_Deere

Juan_Deere LawnSite Senior Member

Around here, most lawns are centipede, bermuda, or a mix of the two. Everybody I know mows to 2 inches. On some yards, I think because that is where the septic systems are, the back yard is more easily maintained at 2.5. If you try to keep it at 2 like the front, the mower bogs and leaves clumps all over the place.