Cut Off Saw

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Subicbay, Mar 23, 2009.

1. Subicbay

Subicbay LawnSite Member

Hey Guys,

Need your advice: We are a Lawn maintenance company but I will have several brick jobs this year, including my own. That said I would like get some paying jobs later in the season & advertise in 2010.

What stihl cut off saw would you recommend? Thanks!

2. soopa

soopa LawnSite Member
    from NY

3. Subicbay

Subicbay LawnSite Member

4. Bru75

Bru75 LawnSite Senior Member

For cutting pavers 14" is plenty.

5. soopa

soopa LawnSite Member
    from NY

Ya, I really can't see any advantage in paver cutting applications that would offset the added weight/cost of 16" saws/blades. In fact, you'd be at a disadvantage with 16" blades when cutting in-place as you wouldn't be able to cut as tight a radius.

6. Subicbay

Subicbay LawnSite Member

That hepls, thanks guys!

7. AllHardscaping

AllHardscaping LawnSite Member

14" is all you need. It will let you cut wall block (some) as well. A 16" blade is gong to be harder to get, cost more, and be a harder saw to sell when it comes time to. If you lay pavers and cut in place thna a 12" might be your better option as you can cut a tighter radius with it. For the most part that only comes into play when using circle packages though.

8. Subicbay

Subicbay LawnSite Member

Thanks AllHArdscaping,

I did not think about the resale issue. I will do several paver jobs along with retaining walls, sounds like the TS400 or new TS 420 14" will be my best all around saw. Thanks, guys!

9. Ottawa Hardscaper

Ottawa Hardscaper LawnSite Member

Have you considered a husqavarna? I normally use a stihl but tried a husky for a couple of cuts and found it to be better balanced and easier site lines mind you i havn't tried the new ts420.

10. Subicbay

Subicbay LawnSite Member

No I have not but, I think I will stay with the Stihl. I have 2 dealers very close to me. If I had any issues new or used they would help me out.
    Thanks...