Cut-off Saws: Husquavarna/Partner Vs. Stihl??

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by TSGVA, May 13, 2008.

1. TSGVA

TSGVA LawnSite Member

Anybody have preferences between the Partner/Husq. 750 and the Stihl 700? My Partner 700 just crapped out on me for the 3rd time after a 7 year run. Apparently there's no compression, even after replacing the cylinder twice and religiously mixing fuel/oil correctly. So, after $800 of repairs, I'm wondering if Partner or the replacement cylinders just aren't cutting it...:hammerhead:..and I'll end up buying a new saw anyway. Stihl 700?

2. crab

crab LawnSite Senior Member

I would buy Stihl or Dolmar good luck.

3. NHMan

NHMan LawnSite Member
    from USA

Have you seen the new "oil sentry" Partner/Husky saw?

4. SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES

SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES LawnSite Senior Member

Stihl, Stihl, Stihl. I have the FS420 and love it. Not to say it is the best on the market. I didn't even look at any others b/c i love all the stihl equipment i have, but it has plenty of power and is well balanced. and of course i love the idea of not having to change or clean an air filter for a whole year.

5. crab

crab LawnSite Senior Member

Southern that air filter is great ,tell me how you feel after 5 or 6 of those stupid elastistart pull cords ,and for the money dolmar/makita is by far the best deal.Dolmar,will out cut the 420 7 days a week.The 420 is great saw but if i had just one it would not be my saw.

6. VBigFord20

VBigFord20 LawnSite Member

Stihl hands down!

I had a partner back in the day and it sucked. I have 2 stihl cut off saws, one is at least 10 years old and it gives me no trouble at all. Hell I have a 12", a 14" and a 029C farmboss chainsaw and a miniboss chainsaw and none of them give me a lick of trouble.

The most I have ever had to do is replace the pull starter and at most thats once every few years.

7. J. Peterson Grading

J. Peterson Grading LawnSite Senior Member
    from IA

Stihl!!!!! Only way to go.

8. Gr8WhiteNorth

Gr8WhiteNorth LawnSite Senior Member

What do you guys use for cutting wall blocks (6-8" H x 12"L)? I'm looking for brands, websites (that I can actually purchase from), or just general opinions. We have 6 - 14" stihl cut-offs, but I'm looking for a platform saw with a stand because new guys can't cut straight. Any ideas?

9. SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES

SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES LawnSite Senior Member

I got my table saw from ebay. it was a brand new one. a cheapo, but a good one. it is very very similar to the MK i was looking at. the only down side is you will need a generator or a 20amp breaker to run it. it will trip a 15amp breaker every time. i didn't invest too much in it b/c we use the cut off saw for almost everything. look at it this way. they will not get any better at cutting straight if they use a table saw. they are only new guys for a little while. eat a few block and roll with it.

10. BFAB

BFAB LawnSite Member

I WHOLESALE EQUIPMENT AND THIS MO. HAVE A PROMOTION. BUY A BOX OF BLADES AND RECEIVE A FREE SAW, HUSK OR STIHL. THE STIHLS HAVE NEW FILTRATION SYSTEM W/ VERY LIMITED MAINTENANCE.