1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Cut off saws

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by DAVELAWN, Jun 26, 2005.

1. DAVELAWN

DAVELAWN LawnSite Member
    from MASS

How are the Stihl models.....most here run about 950. Anyone use them for pavers, I question whether they are the right tool, rather than a wet saw..

2. neversatisfiedj

neversatisfiedj LawnSite Bronze Member

I love mine - just watch your feet !

3. mbella

mbella LawnSite Bronze Member

I use the Stihl TS 400. It takes a 12" or 14" blade. It is the right tool for certain cuts. For example: for cutting your overlaid pavers in place, it is the right tool; for doing precise cuts on caps or bullnose pavers, it isn't the right tool.

In my opinion, every paver installer should have a table saw (wet or dry) and cut-off saw.

4. Masonman

Masonman LawnSite Member

My main saw is a Partner 650, 12" diameter. I use the Stihl as a backup. The Partner cuts better with less vibration I feel. Also, the less weight of the partner is a huge arm and back saver.

5. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

My cutoff saw WAS a Homelite DM50, till I lost compression and learned I couldnt get parts anymore. now I prefer the Stihl TS700, or TS760.

6. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Gotta agree Mike. A hand held will just not give you the precise cuts you will need in some circumstances + its dangerous to try them with a hand held. BTW the stihl TS 400 is a great saw for 95% of all paver work, just the right size

7. mbella

Mac, I checked out the Stihl ???. I forget the nomenclature, but it was the next size up from the TS-400. It was a 14" only and much heavier. For me, the TS-400 was a no brainer. I've been happy ever since.

8. DAVELAWN

DAVELAWN LawnSite Member
    from MASS

Just curious, what did you pay for the STihl?

9. mbella

Approximately $900.00.

10. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

$400 with a diamond blade, used 1 time by a guy that went out of business. Still had warrenty left on it. Love those newbies