1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Cut Only article in Pro magazine

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by brucec32, Jul 25, 2008.

1. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Saw an article on a guy trying to franchise an idea called "cut only". Apparently customers can choose when they want the lawn cut by putting out a flag in the lawn for the guy to see on his route, or notifying them online with a pin code. The story was very light on details so I'm curious about a few things.

1. Sounds insanely difficult to schedule and keep a tight route. What happens if not enough customers want the lawn cut on a route one day? What happens if too many do? Couldn't someone else just grab the flag out front and cause customer problems?
    2. What happens if they don't have you come out for a month, is the price still the same?
    3. I note the words "cut only $10" on the side of the truck. Is that a joke? My guess is it's a lowball come-on price that only applies to lawns the size of one's living room. Even then, there's little profit at that price even if all one did was drive up and ring the doorbell.
    4. Apparently their extensive training video/etc doesn't point out how removing safety guards from trimmers is going to lead to some liability issues and problems with OSHA. And a curved shaft trimmer?
    5. Any relationship with the franchisor and Pro Magazine? It smacks of a thinly veiled ad for the franchise. Do they also run an ad somewhere in Pro?
    6. How long is the season in Michigan anyway? My guess would be pretty darn short to be in a mow-only business. I'm guessing that Ranger isn't a plow vehicle.

Ironically there is some merit to a mow/blow/go type franchise, but the whole "you decide when" thing sounds pretty nutty to me. There must be something more to it.
  2. JosephLawnCare

JosephLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I read that too and thought they were crazy for even writing that article. What a stupid idea. That guy must mow in a low end neighborhood or something. What customer would only want just mowing????
  3. carriedrewdog

carriedrewdog LawnSite Member

Imagine all the flags out after a week of rain, then no work after 2 weeks of drought.
    Talk about seasonal!

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

that doenst seem like the best of ideas
  5. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

i read that to and could not belive it. and the article he says he needs to be at $40 a cut but his truck says $10. what a jackass. i want to call him ( it lists his number) and tell him what i think. then he wants to sell this bullcrap idea as a franchise for $2000 a truck and other start up ideas. what a hack i cant belive they would run a profile on a company like that.
  6. ProCutLawnCare10

ProCutLawnCare10 LawnSite Member

That guy is from Gr and he does some major hack work!! they charge like 15 dollars to cut and they leave it a disaster.. ill try and post some pics of what his stuff looks like next time i see him.. you will laugh!
  7. Cashio13

Cashio13 LawnSite Member

haha i cant wait to see how this guys work looks...i mean c'mon, you put a flag out to tell him to mow...that's probably the worst idea i have ever heard for a landscape company. So basically you could be driving around all day looking for flags. No Bueno
  8. A-Land

A-Land LawnSite Senior Member

He had a good idea, sort of. The article said that he wanted to provide lawn service in blue collar neighborhoods where there was no competition.

Of course why is there no competition? You can't make any money, forget it. Even if you can mow in 5 or 10 minutes, it should take another maybe 10-15 to trim, edge, and blow. Maybe they can do 2 or 3 an hour? A crew out making 20-30 $ an hour? No thank you.
  9. A-Land

A-Land LawnSite Senior Member

However, if they can be in and out in 5 minutes doing crap work, then maybe it's okay.

lol $40 was for their FULL SERVICE program
  10. mississippiturf

mississippiturf LawnSite Senior Member

For another ten, would they send the lady in a bikini to mow???