1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Cut our bags by 2/3

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JerrysLawnService, Nov 19, 2003.

1. JerrysLawnService

JerrysLawnService LawnSite Member

Mid season this year we installed a Blade Blocker (By Trimmer Trap) on our Turf Tiger to help us stop bagging of some areas. So we have put this to use on grinding some leaves and the thing works great. We've cut our bags down by two thirds. We did a property last year and took away 36 mulched bags, this year only had to bag 6, we ground up the rest and dispersed them all over the yard. The place looked great!

2. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Bags? Are those the things you get your produce in when your at the supermarket? :p
  3. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

Something doesn't quite add up. Were you set up last year with a full mulching kit or just running mulching blades?
  4. mottster

mottster LawnSite Member

I'm glad the blade blocker has worked out for you! We just purchased one at work for our Husqvarna 60/25 and we are waiting for some time to be able to install it. Our intention is to help mulch in fall, which it sounds like it does wonders for you, and to help keep from breaking windows around larger homes.
  5. Westbrooklawn

Westbrooklawn LawnSite Senior Member

In previous years we only used our Walker for leaf cleanup. This year I installed a "director" OCDC on my Exmark LZHP. Buy either closing the OCDC or directing the discharge down close to the discharge point on the deck I have been able to simply mow over heavy dry leaf accumulation and they dissappear! This is using high lift singles. I suspect our final leaf cleanup of the year will include a once over with the Walker......... while the leaves are still falling the Exmark with Director is saving a great deal of time.
  6. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I have the mulch kit on 1 lazer to mulch the leaves, the ultra vac on the other to suck the remaining up. Works extremely well. Reduces the amount of dumping tremedously.

Not everyone uses or needs the big vacs and trucks to haul leaves off. It would be a waste of money with the type of work I deal with to have the big units. Several areas around here you dump at the street and the city has the big vac trucks get them. They haul them off and compost it. Sell it back to people in the spring.