Cut Price in Half for cutting just half for cust?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mexiking, Jun 26, 2004.

1. mexiking

mexiking LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Hi, One of my customers that normally gets charged $35 per visit... We didn't cut the front half because there was a lot of construction going on, On the back half we kept doing though. He wrote me an email that I'm killing him with the bill. "Lets settle on
    $20 per cut for June and we can return to the $35 full price now that you
    have started to cut the front again."
    Should I Lower the price or say that price is same. What do you guys do on these situations?

2. Mr_Marc

Mr_Marc LawnSite Member

I would cut him a break.

3. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

We charge monthly ... same price .... year round

What I would do is aggree to the "discount" n when the debri is removed the grass should be taller than normal n charge an additional amount to cover the added labor

4. mexiking

mexiking LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

yeah I agree with fantasy lawns more

5. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I wouldn't give him any breaks. You had to drive there to mow it. If anything, keep to bill the same and just don't charge him too much more for the extra work you are having to do to get his front lawn back into shape. I know that if I cut the price for not being able to mow part of a property I am basically mowing for free.

6. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

Fantasy said it all, exactly what I did in that s ituation

7. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

All i know is that a little goodwill will go a long way... That's all I'm saying.

8. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd cut him some slack this time. Just be sure he understands that it's a one-time deal. He'll appreciate it. And while I understand charging for more labor, unless it's SIGNIFICANTLY more, I wouldn't do it, personally.

9. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I really don't have a sraight answer for you on whether or not to cut the price but what I do want to say is, it should be you that iniates the prices not the customer. I have been in the same situation a few times and have never had a customer ask me to take something off the price. I have always offered and they have always said, we agreed on a price and that's where we will keep it. If you don't stay in control they will start to demand crazier and crazier things.

10. TheKingNJ

TheKingNJ LawnSite Senior Member

how long has he been your coustomer? Do you like mowing his yard? I'd consider cutting him a break but then on the other hand I won't go anywhere for anything less then 35 bucks. Anything smaller then that is not worth me opening up my trailer.