Cut quality and other stuff. Lazer 60" UltraCut vs. Kubota ZD28

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Keith, Jul 9, 2003.

1. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Any Exmark users out there tried or even purchased a Kubota ZD28? I know when I went to buy my EPS Lazer, one of the biggest Exmark dealers tried to steer me toward the Kubota, not that really means anything :rolleyes: I'd just like to hear what you thought about it compared to the Lazer, especially in the quality of cut department.

Thanks

2. UGA

UGA LawnSite Senior Member

I don't own either but I've used both for several jobs each (which I know isn't alot of experience with either) but the Kubota was no comparison to the cut of the Exmark, not even close. I was interested in a Kubota until I demoed one and after that I dropped it off my list. Now everybody is different and you might love it; these comparisons have been made here thousands of times and it all comes down to personal preference and dealer support. Do a search for Kubota and you'll read alot about everyone else's experience.

3. Keith

Thanks for your reply. I have searched through a few threads and couldn't really discern whether some had problems with the Kubota because of the deck design or engine output. There were a lot of references to the ZD21 as opposed to the 28. But your results with the machine don't seem too promising, I may un-check that one from my "demo" list.

4. UGA

Hey Keith,
    What did you end up with? Ever demo a ZD28?

5. Keith

I had all kinds of problems with the EPS as you may have read and is in the shop right now as a matter of fact. I never demo'd the Kubota, but bought a Super Z last week.

6. UGA

Well that is the other mower I have been considering. I'm still undecided only because I've never been able to run a ZD28 against a Lazer to really know; As I've said before a Super Z with an Emark cut would be THE mower for me and for the most part the Super Z would handle my yards just not quite as well.

7. bobac

bobac LawnSite Member

i bought a zd21 pro been great. I think the cut is great aslo leaves the great stripe

image014.jpg

8. Keith

You know, I haven't said too much about the Super Z since I got it, at risk of sounding like I'm trying to bash Exmark. If you here me say how great it is, you might think I was saying that because of the problems I've had with Exmark. But the mower cuts really good. I'm not going to take anything away from the Lazer, it cuts good too, but I see no loss in quality with the Super...at all, so far. The Lazer may cut Bahia a little faster, but in St. Augustine, it's a toss up. I will post some pictures in the next week of so of some of the lawns I have cut with it.

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

How's that 5 extra miles per hour treatin' ya? Pretty terrible thing, huh?

10. Keith

Yeah...terrible :D