Cut quality between 44" & 48" ZTR

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grassmeister, Mar 22, 2005.

1. grassmeister

grassmeister LawnSite Member

I'll soon be purchasing a Ferris ZTR and I'm debating between the 44" and 48" models. My main concern is cut quality and from what I've heard several times, the larger the deck, the worse the cut. I just wonder if 4" is really noticable. Anyone have any experience with this? (The 48" will cost about $300 more.)

2. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Whoever told you that is full of ****! as a "General Rule" they all cut equaly as good, it just depends on the terrain. On a really uneven lawn a 72" deck is going to dig in and scalp. Put it on a semi flat lawn it will get as good as any.

Don't believe that crap they all cut just as good I run 3 60" ztr's they cut like Gold!

watch your language

3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

If anything, the smaller the blade (deck dictates this) the worse the cut.

Between those two deck sizes (44" - 48") in the same manufacturer, you'd likely NOT find a difference in cut quality.

4. grassmeister

grassmeister LawnSite Member

True, on a flat surface, all should be about the same. The issue is when there are small hills, divots, and other imperfections in the lawn. In this case, it would seem to me that there's some validity in this idea. Consider the extremes - a 21" vs. a 72". Depending on the size of the "bump," a 21" could mow over or around it w/o scalping. The 72" may straddle it on both sides and either scalp the high spot or the low spots may be cut too high. I cut bermuda very short, which makes imperfections in the lawn more noticeable. But I question whether or not 4" would really make a difference.

How much more productive do you think a 48" is over a 44". Is it really worth it?

5. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

A 44" deck will mow 1.78 ac/hr @ 5mph
    A 48" deck will mow 1.94 ac/hr @ 5mph

On a ZTR, unless your trying to get through 48" gates, get the 48" deck. The slightly longer blade will give your more capacity in thick turf.

6. jaguar4000

jaguar4000 LawnSite Member

go with the 48""!!! I'm mowing st augustine and bahia w/ a 60"" deck and it provides a great cut. One of the best cutting mowers I ever had was a 50"" gravely. In short- you will going backwards if you go w/ the 44""- good luck!

7. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Get the 48". There would be no difference in cut between the two.