Cut quality from bad boy

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JShe8918, Feb 4, 2008.

1. JShe8918

JShe8918 LawnSite Senior Member

I am currently looking into upgrading my husky Z-turn to a Bad boy AOS 60 CAT 28 or Lightning 52 Kawi 26 or the new Scag 61 w/ CAT 28... I am just kind of iffy about the company not being so well recognized. I haven;t heard anything bad but there isn't all that many of them around. There is only one that i know of with in 50 miles of me or so. We only have three dealers in alabama.... Also the cut quality i am not sure of. I am use to a nice even unlumpy yard. All the movies i have seen of it cutting it leaves behind a lumpy look. Such as those on You tube. What is the deal with that or was it just the speed they were traveling. But i am leaning this away. I mean i want extremely good cut like scag or exmark type... does anyone know anything about these mowers.

2. retrodog

retrodog LawnSite Silver Member

Their cut quality is awesome now. They have a new air baffling system in their deck now that is comparably to the exmark cut. I used to have problem with grass clumping until I got a Bad Boy. Hands down the best cut and the best built for the price.

3. JShe8918

What do you think would be the best mower for me out of the two the 60 or the 52 i currently have 1 apartment complex, 1 high school (none of the sports fields), 2 cemetaries, 2 shopping centers, and about between 30 and 35 residential accounts. This is my first year with one of the cemetaries and with the apartment complex. Most of them are pretty flat with a few contours. I really need some oppinions. I purchased a husky three years ago as my first mower and it has been good but didn;t last long enough... Do you think i would do better with the 52w 26 Li. cooled Kaw. or the 60" 28 CAT?

4. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

Well, I don't know your exact circumstances, but there probably aren't many circumstances where a 60" won't go, so you could even go with a 26 Kaw/60", right? The 28/60 AOS is a really nice mower and you can't go wrong with it for sure. It's your call on how much you want to spend of course. But to answer your question better, is the ground pretty smooth there? The wider you go, obviously the more chance there is for scalping. Bad Boy's ADS deck has 6 anti-scalp rollers and it's fully floating, so you have a little insurance there. If you look at 60", you have a much broader range of engine choices, not to mention 8" more cutting width!

I'm going to be very unhelpful here. You're trying to narrow it down between two models, and I'm going to give you two more to consider (in addition to the one I already mentioned, the 26/60). The 32hp big block Vanguard is a monster engine mated to a 60" deck on the Lightning. Coming late this month or early March is the 31hp Kawasaki big block, so you'll have a 31/60" option as well. Since the Lightning goes 14mph, you won't see a huge productivity gain by getting an AOS (which goes 15mph), but there's longevity on the AOS diesels for sure. They both have the same deck, spindles, suspension, suspension seat, etc. The diesel has a Warner PTO clutch with a torque rating of 300 lb-ft vs the Lightning's Warner w/ 250 lb-ft. The AOS also has 16cc pumps to the Lightning's 12ccs. Conversely, the AOS weighs about 500# more. That 28hp CAT is a 6000 hour engine. The LC Kawasaki is a 3000-3500 hour engine with very religious maintenance. I'm not sure on the big block engines, but I would guess they're in the neighborhood of 2500 hour engines.

The 26/60 is a good mower, but if it were me, I would look hard at the 32/60 Lightning or the 31/60 Lightning. They are such a bargain for being so close to the 8 grand mark.

Be sure to get the foot assist on your mower as well! If you want an OCDC, the Advanced Chute System works great with Bad Boys and if your dealer doesn't stock them, they can get them (or you can buy them online).

Good luck with your decision! :usflag:

5. retrodog

retrodog LawnSite Silver Member

The lightning with the 52in and 26hp lc is my favorite mower now. for $7495 you get an air-ride michigan seat, suspension, and all the goodies they have to offer. To be honest, I would get the diesel only for the wow effect if you have the money. I would also talk you into spending an extra $900 bucks extra and get the 35hp 4cylinder 60in cat. I am on my next diesel. I just delivered one to an LCO Friday before last, and you talk about a mowing machine!! The engine is quieter, much more shock value! He also got a 48in. pup with a 30hp kohler. He now has an awesome rig! What mowing company do you know where you can get 2 mowers like that for around $18000?!!!

6. tb8100

from TX

Yeah everybody here was wowed when we brought in the AOS with the 1.5L 35hp 4 cylinder CAT mower. No other mower has this engine and it's a beast. Peak torque is like 70 lb-ft!! :cool2:

7. JShe8918

Thanks for all of the replies i want the diesel but i just gotta take time and think it though... It is a huge decision for me as far as which one to get. The 60 could cut my time but also could cut into the ground. And the 52" with the 26 isn;t going to last but half the time of the diesel. Can you custom order a mower if you want?

8. tb8100

from TX

custom order how so? As in options that you want on one? Or do you mean if you want a unit that your dealer doesn't have? Either way, yes you can. Bad Boy builds units to order, so the answer is yes. Our customers custom
    order them all the time.

9. JShe8918

I mean like getting a 52" with a 28 CAT engine. I believe that would give me the best of both worlds. I know they don't have a production one but could they custom build it for me....

10. tb8100

from TX

hmm...maybe. They do custom stuff all the time, so it's possible. The only possible hangup may be the deck belt. Let me ask my rep and I'll get back to you on that.