Cut quality issue

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by rdelahunr, Jun 28, 2013.

1. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

Put OEM blades on

2. rdelahunr

rdelahunr LawnSite Member

The high lifts I put on were OEM as far as I know. The manual had a part number that I put into jacks small engines. The part was apparently superseded to the high lifts I selected. The ones the guy who previously owned the mower looked almost identical, albeit being much more worn down.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Snyder's Lawn Inc

ok What motor you have and do you know the rpms of the mower
    Maybe you need a tune up

High lift blades pulls guts out small motors and even pulls my 33hp down I have one set for each mower for the dry season

4. rdelahunr

The G5s stress the mower much more than the high lifts. When I first got the mower it cut great at any speed. The engine number is 385700. It's a 21hp Briggs vanguard. I have no idea what the tons of the engine are. I have both the operators and parts manuals for my mower and engine. If it's somewhere in there I can look. I already looked in the engine parts manual and didn't see it.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Snyder's Lawn Inc

48'' and 21 hp you are under powered start with and running high lifts makes even worse

Maybe you need check the rpms of it Mowers do back off on rpm at times and sometime you don't notice it till you see its not cutting like use to.
    I like my rpm/hour meter That way I know my mower is running at the top rpm everyday

6. rdelahunr

But why would it run perfectly fine in the past with the worn down high lifts? I used them before I even got the new set of high lifts and the problem occurred then also. I was on Craigslist today and I saw a turf tiger with a 61" deck and a 22hp
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Just a thought. Try mowing one of the lawns 1/2" lower and see if that helps. This might be a vacuum issue.

How long have you had the mower?

8. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Did you check the RPMs see if is set to factory spec

9. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

You also mentioned spacers on the blades. You might try removing the spacers to get the blades higher under the deck.

Did the mower ever cut wispy grass cleanly with out leaving stringers? If not, it just may be the deck.

10. rdelahunr

No there are no spacers. My cut is 3/4" lower than my diagram on my mower without any spacers. I just mentioned that if you knew a way to fix this to give some input, but I don't actually have spacers.
    Posted via Mobile Device