Cut quality of 757

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mac B., Mar 27, 2005.

1. Mac B.

Mac B. LawnSite Member

I have heard alot of people on this site downing the John Deeres because of cut quality. I was just wondering what you all mean because my 757 leaves everything I have cut looking perfect. It is the best mowing machine I have ever owned. I was also worried about hills until I mowed the ditch bank at my Mothers house Saturday. It stuck to the bank better than my John Deere garden tractor and mowed wonderful.

Thanks Mac
  2. SproulsLawnCare

SproulsLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member
    from IN

Same here. My JD757 seems to do a great job. It has plenty of power, and I wouldn't want to mow as steap of a hillside as it will handle.
  3. bntt68

bntt68 LawnSite Senior Member

I have the 647 stander. The cut quality is sweet. I run Meg-Mo blades on it.
  4. Tider6972

Tider6972 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

Sometimes just a very few can sound like a crowd !

I don't own one, but I spent 2 days in the seat on lawns of my customers, and I found the 7-Iron deck to produce an amazing , beautiful cut on St. Augustine, Zoysia (!), Bermuda grass, and even Bahia, Johnson grass and clover.

In the wettest of grass, tall grass, the 7-Iron stays clean and does NOT need scraping - ask Florida cutters.

If I could put that deck on a SuperZ, I'd have the perfect ztr.
  5. GLS

GLS LawnSite Bronze Member

No regrets here. I would buy another in a heartbeat. Cut quality is great.

I'd also have to agree on the hill-holding capability (side-to-side and up, going down is another story :rolleyes: ) and "no-stick" deck.
  6. spoolinaround

spoolinaround LawnSite Senior Member

I have used them before, and worked on them aswell with a set of doubles they are awesome
  7. rclay11541

rclay11541 LawnSite Member

Why i dont like JD's:

1. They use stamped decks. You will notice that the where the side of the deck and the top mean its round thats because they took one flat peice of metal and stamped it into this form. This is not as strong as a welded deck.

2. The stamped deck handles thin or low grass qutie nicely however they do not handle damp, thick or high grass well at all they clog and do not dispurse the clippings as well as lets say my exmark.

3. I've HEARD no exp in the long run with these machines, that the engines dont last as long or are more prone to break down.
  8. spoolinaround

spoolinaround LawnSite Senior Member

have you ever ran a JD 757 or any commercial JD (725-735-935-757-637 exc) ?
  9. rclay11541

rclay11541 LawnSite Member

I do belive i had one of these units as a loaner while one of my machines was in the shop. I could be mistaken though. Correct me if im wrong however, ALL JD's use a stamped deck correct? So my previous post would be valid reguardless of the model of JD (excluding the wing mowers and such).
  10. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

You say this yet I BET you have never even used one, much less owned to to really know.

Please explain this then, since it is the SAME Kawaskai motor that is used by your fav...eXmark....and other makers. That statement just wanted float unless you say that all Kaw motors are prone to more break down :dizzy: