Cut Quality on my ****-Z 52" is just not good enough. Time for a change.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cookedonphonics, Sep 16, 2009.

1. cookedonphonics

cookedonphonics LawnSite Member

Not looking to badmouth H******. Good company. My local dealer really takes care of me, etc... Problem is the quality of cut is just not up to par unless I cut at or below 2.5 inches (which I think just looks like garbage on the lawns I do). Not to mention that my lawns become weed city when I cut it that low. UGH! For 2 years I've tried every imaginable combination of blades, run doubles, adjusting deck pitch, etc... I've just had it. Today I had a really good customer very politely ask if I would be opposed to just using their mower on the lawn because it just looks nicer than when I use mine and then I wouldn't have to go over it twice. They actually feel bad for me....???!!!!
    That was the final straw. I'm done. I'm going to sell the thing at a loss and buy something that actually does what I need it to do.
    SO... Northeast LCO's.... any suggestions? I'm open to anything(brand) at this point really. Thinking 60" with a deeper deck (this may be part of my current problem, but I can't change that). Pros/cons...I'm all ears....
  2. Fox Landscape Services

Fox Landscape Services LawnSite Member

I don't know much about your area grasses but we use Walker mowers and the quality of cut is unmatched. If you have a dealer close they will allow you to demo one at no cost to you. I believe once you try one out you will be very impressed. We have been using Walkers over 14 years now.
  3. milo

milo LawnSite Bronze Member

check your pm i sent you a message. as for 30 miles from you 1 of the cleanest cuts from a mower i got was from a yazoo max2 60 inch. i really think that had the best cut of any mower i ever used. exmarks perty good, scags perty good and dixie choppers a little better than exmark and scag but the yazoo was a really super clean cut, it has the worst ride but best cut lol.
  4. Pietro

Pietro LawnSite Senior Member

We use toros in central NJ. They work well.
  5. THC

THC LawnSite Silver Member

oh no:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: That would be embarrassing.

I'll just throw this out here just in case though you probably know a lot more about mowing then I do.. I had cut problems with year with my toro turbo force deck. I improve when I rose my deck from the ground and lowered my blades inside the deck. Now my blades just inside the bottom edge of the deck.

But I mulch so I don't know.
  6. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Sold my Hustlers two seasons ago and bought three new Gravelys. Similar pump/wheel motor/engine setups but a far better quality of cut.
  7. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

I have used a number of mowers and have seen plenty other mowers cut. Around me I like the Deere 7-ironII deck, Toro turbo force, Dixie Chopper, and exmark ultra cut. Those are easily the best cuts around me. But I would highly suggest that you demo as many mowers as you can and see which one you like best.
  8. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Don't feel bad I was asked not to use my Hustler on certain lawns. Ultra Cuts are very good for a table top cut buy you may scrape the deck a bit more than some. Of course Walker. The Scag Velocity has been my best "all around" deck for trouble lawns and the Ultra Cut the best for manicured lawns. Just my experience.
  9. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

So, what are you mowing with thats not working?
  10. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

Please try out a Walker Super B, and then please demo all the other brands you can get. I would never buy a expensive mower without trying it. Just because Joe Bob likes X and Jim Bob swears by Z does not mean they will work well for you.