Cut quality (St.Augustine)

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by williams lcm, Sep 1, 2011.

1. williams lcm

williams lcm LawnSite Bronze Member

Can cut quality be all that different on all different models of zero turns? I have seen all brands form hustler, John deere,toro,ferris ect. They all seem to cut nice and leave a nice looking cut on St.Augustine. Your home owner probably cound not tell the difference. I have even seen some riding tractors cut pretty nice.How can cut quality improve anymore in the future? It seems like a mower is a mower when it comes to cut quality. The operator has to keep blades sharp and slow down when needed and any mower will leave a decent cut . I always have the latest and the greatest mowers but my neighbors have the riding tractors and their cut looks just as good.

2. CkLandscapingOrlando

CkLandscapingOrlando LawnSite Senior Member

Cut speed, deck mulching and discharge, leading edge of the deck strength, spinde quality, ease of maint, ease of height adjustment. Hell an exmark cut quality will change everytime the change the deck style. Alot more factor than just the end look

3. williams lcm

williams lcm LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah I remember the days with my old yazoo/keys ztr. I had to physically change the pins on each side one by one to recieve the correct cut height. What a pain in the a**. I tried to keep the bahia on one day and St.Augustine on the next just so I did not keep switching deck heights.

4. CkLandscapingOrlando

CkLandscapingOrlando LawnSite Senior Member

I remember the days of the spacers under the forks. HAHAHAHAHA

5. Landscape Poet

Landscape Poet LawnSite Gold Member

Blades being sharp are the biggest factor in my opinion of actually cutting the lawn with the most speed. Deck quality affects suction which does still play a factor IMHO even on our stiff SA lawns.
    Anymore most of the mowers offer the same brand engines. I think the key to speed is a big enough engine in relation to deck size with sharp blades and you can go like hell without to much worry.

6. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

Only if half of these lawns were bigger so we could actually use the full potential of these machines and not throw clippings two houses down or across the street. I guess you can run a mulch kit but them you dump a turd on the sidewalk every time you cross it.

7. Landscape Poet

Landscape Poet LawnSite Gold Member

This made me laugh very hard:)

8. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Mikey

Those big engines are great in hay fields. Lots of power to keep the speed up.

CLIP RATE is the ratio between ground speed and Blade speed. The higher the Clip Rate the cleaner the cut. The smaller the deck the better it hugs the ground. Therefore nothing will beat the cut of a sharp 21 push mower.

IMHO St Augustine is the most forgiving of a bad mower deck.

9. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

You know how to take a lawn to the next level? double cut it. I swear its like night and day difference. I only do this on a few resi accounts that pay a premium. Oh and I run turbo force decks so its not like there lacking in the cut quality department.

10. Agree. I can justify double cutting knowing that in the winter I fly through the yard and depending on how cold the winter is I may cut every 3 weeks. My accounts don't have that much turf to make double cutting too much added time
    Posted via Mobile Device