1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Cut quality with Mulch Kit

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jpbelch, May 6, 2004.

1. jpbelch

jpbelch LawnSite Member

I have a 36" Gravely WB and just recently added a mulch kit. The kit came with new blades (which looked just like the original blades) and baffles. I just did my first cut with the kit on and I'm not impressed at all. Random pieces of grass are uncut and there is a little bit of clumping grass. Is this the norm with mulch kits. Before the mulch kit my mower cut perfectly.:confused:
  2. metro-hp_48

metro-hp_48 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

Would say the blades should have looked diff. (unless you always had mulching blades.) Helps if not tall grass.
  3. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

sounds like there was too much grass bulk for the deck to handle....like it was choking up, but I don't think the problem was caused by wrong blades as much as wrong conditions. Try a set of Gators, may help by cutting a smaller clipping and enabling a more even spread, also don't try mulching in the wet or damp, mulch kits are sensitive to moisture. Try slowing down a bit and see if this helps...
  4. jpbelch

jpbelch LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies guys. I did cut off about 1.5 to 2 inches. Is that too much to mulch?
  5. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

What kind of grass, and were the blades sharp? And was it wet?
  6. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I wouldn't think 2 inches would explain the problems on northern grasses. I know I do have to slow down some to get the cut right when mulching.

I'm not sure if Gravely uses a different design mulch blade or not. That could be a problem.

How was the moisture level? Lush and damp? Mulching does better in dry conditions.

Also, mulching doesn't seem to cut as clean at higher cut levels, especially on "floppy", less rigid grass. I think you lose some of the vaccum that makes it work.

My Exmark 48" lazer mulches St. Augustine here at 4" very well, and I'm not cutting huge amounts off at once(2-4" though at times) But it's a coarse, stiff grass.
  7. jpbelch

jpbelch LawnSite Member

I'm not sure of the grass, I think rye, fescue and dandelions. The grass was dry and the blades are brand new (they came with the kit)
  8. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a mulch kit for my eXmark metro, but I'm not even thinking about putting it on until things really dry out. Right now? No dice.
  9. KL Squared

KL Squared LawnSite Member

You cut too much grass. Go over a second time the bloww the lines off across the yard.
  10. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

2'' of thick grass can be enough to clog a deck when mulching, 1'' is the best max. mulching heavy grasses can be a pain because if you need to double cut the deck lifts up the previous cut's clippings and re cuts them as well, this can be disasterous! lol.

all you do on this 1st cut is clean up with a blower best you can and come back in a few days time and re cut, it will be ok then.

I found myself getting so much overgrown lawns this season I took my mulch kit off and made a shute blocker and only run in side discharge, flogging mowers with mulch kits through deglected yards isn't worth it, people have this unreal expectation they can get away with occasional mows but expect us to leave a mess looking like a manicured lawn, I fought this battle for the last 2 years, I give up, not regularly maintained, side discharge, then they whine about clippings being seen!

can't win....some jobs are just to much to mulch, but what would we know, customer is always right eh? (they think!)