1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Cut quality.

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by We do 4 U, Aug 13, 2003.

1. We do 4 U

We do 4 U LawnSite Member

I have a 2002 52" Super Z with the 25 Kaw. and I am having problems with the deck cloging up. When I cut thick wet grass ( we have had 30 out of 45 days with lots of rain here), the deck gets cloged up and grass acctualy says under the deck. When this happens the mower really bogs down and the cut quality is very poor. When you shut the blades off then it dumps a huge mound of clipings. I keep my blades sharp and scrape my deck when I change blades and I am using the high lits that came with the mower. It's almost like it has a mulch kit on it, which it doesn't.
    I would ask my dealer, but the are out of business so I am hoping you guys can help me, which I know you will try. Thanks
  2. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Yup, I've been in touch with Hustler about it. The grass clogs on the middle rear separator (some on the first) for the blades and keeps the grass from transferring from the first and second blade to the discharge blade. Not much we can do. It's just deck design, which was designed for better grass velocity and less blowout. Doubles actually make it worse because it cuts the grass finer and allows it to pack more. Hope it stop raining.....
  3. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

so now that Hustler is aware of this problem, that i tried to explain earlier, are there any plans to change the deck design?
  4. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

We are currently testing, and working on this issue.

5. Doc Pete

I've been in touch with brain and I may be using my deck to try a new design. Remember, Hustlers’ deck is a trade off. I’ve found it works better in dry grass than others, and yes, it lacks a bit in wet grass. Now if we’d only mow when we are supposed to (G).
  6. excel25

excel25 LawnSite Senior Member

It,s hard to do when the dew is on the grass till after 10.am
    we head out at 6:30 so we can get home befor dark. It is fusterating when my 48 TTHP will out mow my super-z till it's dry.
  7. Doc Pete

Sorry to hear it's so bad. My Hustler WB's don't see that bad at all.

RLKSTUMP LawnSite Member

Sorry about the rain!! I am looking at STR's...........how do you like yours when the grass is dry and if possible, how muchdid it cost ya?
  9. We do 4 U

We do 4 U LawnSite Member

Are you guys going to offer a kit that will fix the problems or are you just going to fix the problem on machines that are coming out of the factory because I am about ready to get rid of my Super Z at a loss and buy a Ex-Mark. The problem was getting better because the rain slacked up some, but now the temps have droped and there is a lot of dew in the am. I am finding that my 44" gear drive, 5 year old, 12 1/2 Kaw., Toro walk behind is cutting better than my Super Z. GUYS I NEED HELP!!!! Any thing I can do to ( diff. blades, etc) PLEASE let me know. I need more than "We are currently testing, and working on this issue" Anything you can do to help would be much appericated.
  10. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

We do 4 U,
    I know your dealer closed up shop, so this makes it harder.
    Is there a dealer that you are working with now ?
    We need to get your unit into a dealer, so they can take a look at the unit and talk to our guys in service.
    What zip code are you in ? are you close to Norfolk ? or Virginia Beach ?
    We have a distributor in those areas and we would like to get your unit in there hands, so they can get this taken care of.
    E-mail me @ hustlerturfequipment@msn.com, I will need your info you used when you bought your mower (name, address, phone #).

Thank you