cut shorter

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CLARK LAWN, Sep 21, 2006.

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

why is it that most old people want thier lawns cut so short that they almost turn brown? just today two old ladies who are nieghbors both came out and told us that they want thier lawns cut shorter. one said last week after we left she took her push mow out and cut 2" more off her lawn that we cut at 3.5" i dont believe her but she insisted that she did today we cut at 3" and they still were not happy with it. just seems like most old people want it cut at 1"-1.5" they think it looks better that way even if it turns brown.
  2. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

We several that want the same thing. Do they get it, NO!!!!!!!
  3. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Because they are mindless idiots.
    I think they are used to it from when they cut their own grass. Cutting as short as they could so it would be more time between cuts. Just let them know how beneficial it is to cut it higher than an inch. Most people are clueless about this.
  4. 04TurfT

04TurfT LawnSite Senior Member

hahaha I'm glad someone else goes through this, I find this happening with a lot of ole widow women...They don't want it short because they think it looks good the only reason they do it is because they are old and ain't got much money. Then when I cut it short they always give me the "Just come back in a few weeks" and there ain't much I can do because I need every bit of business I can get... So I just put up with it. Most of these old people are so nice, but they just don't understand the concept of cutting weekly... oh well.
  5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

translation: we don't want to spend money.

solution: say 'no sorry i can not' and if that doesn't work, then let them call someone else.

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

No less than three inches.
  7. ozd12005

ozd12005 LawnSite Senior Member

I had a customer that came out everytime with a wooden ruler and drove me nuts, He was a nice guy (89 yrs old) old timers are set in there ways
  8. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

There's an area around here full of old people, the lawns could look like a dust bowl and if one starts cutting his lawn then everybody else joins in.They all have the same answer when you ask them, why are you cutting the lawn? Because it's Wednesday that's why.;)

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

its not only about money because ive had old people out walking come up as were finishing a lawn (not even thiers) and ask if we just cut i say yes and they proceed to tell me thats its way to long and should be cut about half as high as it is and it looks bad that high and pretty much telling me i dont know what im talking about when i try to explain things to them.and as someone else sated a few weeks ago they are very rude about it.
  10. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Since most University HOC for coolseason grass is between 2.5 to 3.0 inches I would say the old folks might be a little (read a lot) smarter than you self rightous lawnboys who insist on cutting at 3.5 inches. Grass does great at 2.5 to 2.75 inches right now if the rest of the culturial practices are sound.