1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Cut sidewall on LazerZ

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mr.Ziffel, May 13, 2003.

1. Mr.Ziffel

Mr.Ziffel LawnSite Senior Member

I searched but couldn't find anything about changing just one tire on the Lazer Z. I cut the sidewall [guess I hooked it on a fence when mowing some rougher stuff] and the tire guys can't put a boot on it so I can tube it. Since the outside diameter of the new tire may differ from the 2 year old one on the other side do I need to replace both in order to keep my tracking straight? I'm thinking of just going with the one and seeing how it works, but I need to order it in the morning and would appreciate any of your advice or experience.
    Thanks, Will M>
  2. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

I think you should replace both and keep the good used as a spare in the event this happens again.
  3. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

you can replace 1 but you have to wrap a tape measure around the tire and use air pressure to make the circumference of both tires the same ie 25psi in one side and 15 in the other as long as they are the same circumference
  4. I just put a new one on, you won't be able to tell the difference, unless the other is almost bald.
  5. Mr.Ziffel

Mr.Ziffel LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the quick replies. I just got off the phone with a reputable tire shop who said they'd be willing to put a 'boot' on it but couldn't guarantee the repair - they consider it only a temporary fix because the low pressure high flotation tires flex so much. He said it could last quite a while or pop off the first time I hit a bump and they estimated $25 - $30 for the repair. I'm going to have my local tire shop order me one so I can get it on by the end of the week.

BTW, the local shop price for a new Carlisle Turf Master is only a buck more than I've been able to find online [CedarRapidsTire, etc.] or in the catalogs and their shipping is cheaper but I have to pay sales tax.
    Will M>
  6. a1 lawncare

a1 lawncare LawnSite Member

same thing happened to me monday, steel t-post i got in a hurry, bad move on my part, and pinched the sidewall. if there was any saving grace it was that i only had a few passes and this was my last prop. for the day. went to dealer to get a tire, long story short the tire was made by the same man. has the same sizes 23x9.50x12, but the tire is 1" shorter height-wise, i pump it up tight hoping it will grow, old roundtrack trick, but it was so drastic my wife noticed. so i'm callin the man. 800 number and using the w/b for now.

good luck on your choice, keith