Cut too low, now I'll have to pay

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by toddco, Jun 6, 2002.

1. toddco

toddco LawnSite Member
    from Seattle

Okay, all spring long I been cuttin it super short cause it looked so neat. About 2" tall, smooth as a babies butt, and green as could be.

But now I know I've been sinnin and it's gonna burn up in August. The rain is already slowing to a trickle here (maybe an inch this month). How do I pay for my sin? Do I raise the mower slowly each week? Do I leave it uncut until it hits 4 inches?

Forgive me lawn, for I have sinned. Help!

2. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

My mower raises in half inch spacing. I am sure if you raise it a half (one notch) a week every thing will be fine and the customers will hardly notice. I mow until about this time of year (first of June) at 2 inches, then start raising. I havn't had any problems doing that.

3. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

What kind of grass? Makes all the difference.

4. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

if u lucky enough that its growin. just
    cut the tip even and let it grow to desired hgt. only problem is ,now u got to explain what u are doing to each customer.just act like its pt o your game plan.u knew what u was doing all the time.:D

5. toddco

toddco LawnSite Member
    from Seattle

Kirby, I'm up here in the greater Seattle area so it's all cool-season grasses. Everything is a mix. I keep thinkin I need to overseed with fescue to deal with the low rain summers but all the sod companies here use rye, and they must know something (?).

6. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Not sure about that area. Rye is a temp grass here, we plant it in fall to give warm season grasses color thru winter. Late spring the Rye is toast, if I get a chance I will take a photo of a Rye lawn in a local community.:eek:

I would suggest doing as others said, raise the deck and let it grow. Also check out the 2 Primo Maxx threads in the Pest forum.

7. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Never cut it short.:angel:

8. proline32

proline32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 98383

Just bring it up incrementally..... 3 inches is a good height for many lawns, this way they retain more moisture and stay greener longer, Around here alot of the lco's have kids working for them and they just butcher the grass by cutting it as low as they can to a point of the lawns are brown and they have green lines running thru them where they don't bother to over lap the cut, I generally cut them at 2.5 to 3 inches and I have had customers ***** at me that they want them lower..... I just tell them to hire someone else.

9. Never cut short it will kill your checkbook and the lawn. I cut all my lawns at 3 to 4 inches I have one estate that I cut at 5. The only grass to be cut below 2.5 is bent grass

10. toddco

toddco LawnSite Member
    from Seattle

When you let it grow up to 3-1/2 or 4 inches (or even 5) does the lawn look trampled when kids, and dogs play on it? The tall grass always seems to look so much more fragile, and then messy -- but boy it sure stays green.