CUT

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by awm, Feb 11, 2001.

1. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

I have the 96 lazer z 52 inch w half inch height
    increments.Ive noticed that new ones have twice
    the deck level choices.If this is a factor
    I would do same to mine.What do you z operators think.
    Your input an time appreciated

2. Skookum

Skookum LawnSite Senior Member

My Toro's are 1/2" increments and I have never seen a time I said to myself, "Self, man I wish I had another hole to allow me to set the deck at 1/4" increments instead of just 1/2".

Now I could be missing something, but I see no urgent need for it. It would never keep me from buying a mower without them or make me buy one that had them.

3. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

Not noticible is it? Would you be able to tell if I cut your grass a 1/4 of an inch lower?

Come on, your lying......take out a ruler and look at what a 1/4 inch is.....now do you think you could tell if I cut your lawn 1/4 of an inch lower?? ;)

:)

It would be one of those things to say "mines better than yours cause...." but I definetly wouldn't pay extra or anything like that for 1/4" instead of 1/2" increments.

My 1.999999999999999 Cents. :)

4. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

I have reread my post in which i ask a question
    of those who have some time in w z mowers.
    I believe I got it worded right.Apreciate the time
    but somebody needs to read it again, also unless
    Im missing something.

5. smburgess

smburgess LawnSite Senior Member

LOL

6. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I thought Skookum answered it correctly. My Choppers are not adjustable in 1/4" amounts and I can see no reason for it. If you need that fine of adjustments, you can let about 1 lb. of air out of the tires and drop the cut 1/4".

I feel that having the deck set at the proper pitch and left to right leveling adjustments correct is much more important. This is what will mess up the looks of a lawn the most.

7. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

THANKS FOR INPUT,PRETTY MUCH WHAT THOUGHT.

8. double e

double e LawnSite Member

I wouldn't think it matters, but my Woods 2560 has a Hydrolic lift. I could change to 1/8. When I first got it , I didn't think it would matter, but now I love it. I think all you need is 1/2 incresements. Or like Eric said let some air out, but it is nice with the hydrolic-just a pull on the leaver.

9. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

I actually use the 1/4 inch increments on my z master! For example.... on those very uneven lawns where 3.5 inches wouls just look to shaggy....3.25 looks smooth and perfect. When the grass is very wet ill also raise it 1/4 inch... makes big diffrence in clippings and dosnt look much diffrent.

10. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

I wish mine had 1/4 " adjustments,especially in the 3-4" range,in the spring in heavy growth Id like to be able to cut 3 3/4 then drop to 3 1/2 the next week on some lawns,going to 4" is to high on most of them and 3 1/2 really makes it labor and i have to slow down or the clippings will show.If i want to go 1/4 now i have to add a 1/4" spacer i made out of an old set of blades,I cut the blades off the center,rounded them and balanced them.