Cutbacks on ornamentals??

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by Florida Gardener, Feb 4, 2011.

1. zturncutter

zturncutter LawnSite Bronze Member

34 degree low with frost here as well.

2. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Z turn

It warmed up now to a toasty 52 at my house about 8 miles from you. This is our 3rd winter in a row to have freezes, but I honestly believe this is the coldest winter I remember in Florida. January normal night time temperature is 55 degrees. Our average day time high in January is 75 degrees. I am using January because it is the coldest month of the year.

I realize we are not the only people feeling the bad winter. The whole nation is having a bad winter. I think we in South Florida just aren't as prepared for it.

3. zturncutter

zturncutter LawnSite Bronze Member

It didn't stay down there very long and we had high cirrus earlier in the night that kept it from falling to quick.
    That is one of the things I like about Florida though, the extremes in weather. Except for the occassional eye wall hits from major hurricanes that is.

4. Landscape Poet

Landscape Poet LawnSite Gold Member

Cold tonight but back to 70's for the start of the week and then ending up in the low 80s. All hell is about to break lose I bet.

5. Well I guess we have officially hit spring. Our 10 day forecast calls for highs no lower than 77 and mainly around 80. What a short winter. The one plus I can see is people doing stuff earlier than last year.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Tri-City Outdoors

Tri-City Outdoors LawnSite Member

Yep we are getting it early this year I see new growth all over. We just begun our spring clean ups.

7. Landscape Poet

Landscape Poet LawnSite Gold Member

The viburnum has gotten a crazy growth spurt the last two weeks or so and flowering really well. The turf is hit and miss. Everything is coming back but the dwarfs SA seem to be a little more patchy still. Some of them almost look like a dalmatian lawn. Just little circles of green inbetween the brown.