Cuts in a soldier borbered walk

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by forestfireguy, Aug 25, 2006.

1. forestfireguy

forestfireguy LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

How do you make your cuts on a curved walk, do you lay your soldiers and mark and cut each piece inside the field or do you leave the soldiers out, run the field into the border area and mark off your eding with a quickdraw and make a demo saw cut?

2. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Both. Really depends on the individual project, and pattern.

3. forestfireguy

from nj

What factors come into consideration for you when deciding how to make these cuts? Same ? for a sttraight run.

4. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

it depends on how long it is and how sharp of a curve it is.

for longer curves we leave out the soldiers and overlay the pavers (lay into the space where the soldiers are). we then scribe along the pavers and use a gas cutoff saw and cut the overlay.

this is WAY faster than marking and cutting each individual piece.

same goes for straight lines.........

5. GroundScapesIncorporated

GroundScapesIncorporated LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

Your right, it is faster.

But PERSONAlLLY, with the work ive seen and done. The job has always looked nicer when the pavers were individually PU and took to the saw and cut.
    I just personally have never seen someone take a cut off saw and make perfect cuts all the way down.

6. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

These cuts were made with the overlay method. I don't see how you can say that the other way is better.:dizzy:

Chris

PICT0063.JPG

7. PerfiCut L&L

PerfiCut L&L LawnSite Senior Member

cgland - thats a nice cut line. I'm going to try that method on our next project, as ive been wanting to for a while now. How difficult is it when your cutting just a small sliver of stone?

8. forestfireguy

from nj

If there is to be a sliver I leave them out and cut on the wet saw. I just finished a walkway today and used the " overlay" method. I took my time, scored dry and cut wet I notice the saw likes an outside radius better that cutting the inside, I knicked a few, I guess i tried to go too tight, so I ended up cutting maybe a dozen on the wetsaw as opposed to at least a hundred. Definite time saver.

9. GroundScapesIncorporated

GroundScapesIncorporated LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

Chris,
    Chris your right those are some very nice cuts. What kind of saw was used? Did you install edge restraint before or after pavers?

Oh, and I never said the other way was better.

10. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

The thing is, the first time you cut in place it won't come out the greatest. It takes time and experience to get the cuts that CG had in his pictures. I remember the first time i cut in place. I kept on thinking that it must be the hack way since it didn't look to good. Now, the quality of curves i cut really impresses me and eveyrone else that sees them.

Matt