Cutter Assembly replacement

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by amrupp, Sep 5, 2006.

1. amrupp

amrupp LawnSite Member
    from buffalo

I have a 48" HP with a s/n in the 200,000 range. I'm looking at having to replace the cutter assembly, and the part as called out in the parts list is 1-414335. I'm not having much success in finding that online, but there are several of the 103-1105 assemblys out there (parts manual indicates they are for s/n 260,000 - 351,999). Is it possible to substitute the 103-1105 assembly in my machine?

Many thanks for your help.

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Hello,

You could substitute the 103-1105. The only thing is that it will have a different blade bolt and blade bolt torque than your other housings. That bolt will be a 2-3/4" long bolt as opposed to the 1" bolts on your current housings. In addition, that bolt should be torqued to 115-120 ft-lbs, where the old ones are 75-85 ft-lbs.

I hope this helps. Let us know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Lenny

3. amrupp

amrupp LawnSite Member
    from buffalo

Lenny -

Thanks for your advice on the substitute assembly. The 103-1105 assemblys are easier to find, and somewhat less expensive so I'll be going with that one. My question has to do with torque settings. I read in another post that exceeding the 115-120 torque for the blade bolt may not be desirable, but isn't that bad. If that's the case, does it hold true for the nut on top of the spindle too? I believe the recommended setting on that one is 80-90 - is it OK to exceed that as well?

Obviously, I don't have a torque wrench and am tightening with my breaker bar. Thanks again for your help.

Mark

4. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Mark,

I would say that it's better to slightly over-torque than to under torque. If you don't have enough torque on the blade bolt, it can lead to self-tightening of the blade bolt, and if you don't have enough torque on the spindle nut it can make your bearings more susceptible to an impact failure.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Lenny