Cuttin Grass? ....for a living?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Guardian, Jan 21, 2002.

1. Guardian

Guardian LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

Every now and then I stop, think about what I do (...what I used to do) - and I get a silly grin on my face

I can't believe I didn't start this SOONER! It took me 30 years to discover something thats almost too simple.

I love what I do - I make more MONEY than ever before (Retail mgmt and UPS). AND I AM MY OWN BOSS!!

I feel like someone's gonna catch me cause I am having too much fun.

........sorry guys, its my TWO YEAR anniverary in the business and I AM STILL PUMPED!!!

2. cajuncutter

cajuncutter LawnSite Senior Member

CONGRATS!! I know the feeling all to well. Been doing this since I got my drivers license(15) DATS 15 YEARS NOW!!! I have never had a "real" job and god help me if I ever do. I am so spoiled!!!:eek:
    I do have to say my wife isn't happy this time of the year, I get off while she works:D ...well I think I will get the fishing gear ready for in the morning..I have a little more vacation time to burn:p

3. tsmiff1

tsmiff1 LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

Hey Guardian,
    I work for UPS too! I've been mowing part time since '97. We need to talk! You've got me pumped!
    tsmiff1@aol.com

4. jack D.

jack D. Banned

Are you legit?

5. Administrator

Administrator Administrator

Legit... seems like a personal question to me. Why would he want to discuss that .... even if he is or is not.

If he is not... well, that's not something you would want to post publically is it?

Either way... not much of an answer to that question.

JMO

Chuck

6. Nelson

Nelson LawnSite Senior Member

GUARDIAN,

You have me pumped up also. It's wonderful for someone
    just starting out to hear them kind of POSITIVE words......

"Good Luck" :blob3: :blob2: :blob4: :blob2:

7. Guardian

Guardian LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

I had hoped this would be an encouraging post. I'm just glad to have found my niche. This is very "Do-able" business.

Thank you Chuck for fielding the one from jack. I would have never left a career like UPS for game of chance.

Tsmiff - I started @ UPS in 1995 working local sort. I left last July - I was a Cover-Driver. During my last year there, I passed up Regular Driver jobs twice. The reason, of course was that my lawn business was already proving to be better opportunity. Think about it - you know drivers - the hours they work, the CONDITIONS they work in. WHY should you wait in line for that? You got the keys in your hand for a better life!

I hope all you guys experience the success I've found - better yet - I hope you exceed it!

8. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

Being self employed does have it's downsides, but the upsides FAR outweigh the downsides. I don't think I could ever go back to working for the man and hope I never have to either. It is nice to take time to reflect. I feel very fortunate to have a sucessful business that I built up myself.

9. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I agree. While I'm in my 11th year now and not as "pumped", I can't imagine going back to my old corporate job.

People with "real jobs" always ask me with a puzzled look... "but what do you do all winter?" I always say "plenty, I never have too much time"

One perk of all this time off in the Winter is that I have plenty of time to do things for myself that busy people with 50-60 hour/week corporate jobs, long commutes and 2 weeks off a year can't. It saves me a lot of money, so it's more than just time off.

For example, just this last year I've :

-painted my house inside and out, saving at least $4,000 in labor.
    -prepped my house for carpet and tile(tearing out old carpet, removing staples, hauling it off, sealing tile grout, etc, etc, moving the furniture myself, picking up materials myself, etc), saving $800 in discounts from the flooring contractors.
    -cleaned and resealed my deck and refinished my hot tub $400
    -maintained my own 2 acre property at home (duh) saving $2,000 vs hiring someone because I worked all the time and didn't have the equipment.
    -removed fallen trees from an ice storm myself $600
    -saved $2,000 in commuting expenses
    -saved $1500 in suits, shirts, and drycleaning expenses
    -sodded parts of my lawn myself, $1,000 in labor saved
    -changed oil, fluids, and plugs in our vehicles myself. $200 saved

That's $12,500 right there, and I may have left some stuff out. I'd have to EARN about $17,000 in salary at a "real" job to pay for all that , after taxes. No thanks.

In other years I've re-landscaped my yard, helped build my deck, built a fence for my dogs, etc, etc. I never had time or energy for that kind of stuff when I had a "job". My point is that there's more to it than salaries. Sleeping as late as I want all winter, having lots of time for hobbies and interests, and being able to travel in the off-season doesn't hurt, either. I'm not even counting things like maid services, pet grooming, restaurant meals, and car washes that today's time-poor busy people are forced to pay for because they lack the free time to do it themselves.

The only catch is that you can't be afraid of hard work. Thankfully, the world is full of people who are. Some of them we call "customers".

10. tsmiff1

tsmiff1 LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

What was just stated in the above post was exactly what I figured it must be like if this was a full time business. The way I look at is, I have my degree and experience and if things don't work out I can always go back to working for "the man". But just from my part time business I am more than sure that the numbers speak for themselves.
    JACK D, believe me this guy is more than legit. I started with UPS in '96 and has since then worked my way up from a piss on loader to a full time supervisor with every experience in between. I have a month to go before submitting my two weeks notice and can't wait to do so. I know of several guys who have left this company and other white collar jobs for this type of work. I'm 26 years old, single, and no kids. WHY NOT??? I would hate to get ten years down the road with a family that I hardly get to spend time with and wondering everyday "what if". I'll keep you guys posted on this awesome site on how things work out for me.
    Take it easy guys,
    T.