Cuttin' in college?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JHMlandscapes, Jul 22, 2003.

1. JHMlandscapes

JHMlandscapes LawnSite Member

Howdy boys, quick question for ya'll.

How many of ya'll ran business during college? If so, how many accounts did you have? Did it affect your grades? Was it worth the time? Did you have to rent a shop?

I'm 17 and in the fall of 2004 I will be attending the University of Arkansas to study turfgrass. I've been putting a lot of thought in this, I really want to cut, but I just don't know if I'll have time. This would probably be about the size of a part-timer. I've been working at a golf course all summer and will all next summer. I know I can get a job at a course in Fayetteville, I just dunno if I really want to. The pay is awful, I only make $6.00/hr and even if I made $10.00/hr I'd probably still hate the pay.

Next summer I should make enough money to purchase a trailer (6 x 12), trimmer, blower, a 21", and enough to make a down payment on a w/b. So I'd be paying for insurance, rent for a shop, and just equipment. I've already got the truck.

Hmmm...I don't do a good job putting my thoughts into writing, if you can make sense of this babble then any feedback would be appreciated.

Henry

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

YES, it effected my grades big time. It was so hard to run a business with employees, and school at the same time. The only way that I would suggest it if you had an office manager or someone that you could trust to run that rest of the paperwork and scheduling for you

3. WPLE

WPLE LawnSite Member

I am in college and cuttin. Next semester i will be taking 15 hours and keep up my 40 someodd accounts. Last semster took 18hours which about killed me. Grades depend on you, how many nights you want to stay up late. I have kept a 3.0 since i started the lands. program but i am in a comm. college. Ark. will be alot harder. I will be harder to do than working at the golfcourse but you will make alot more money. Good luck.

4. JHMlandscapes

JHMlandscapes LawnSite Member

See, that's what I was afraid of. And I'm gonna have to keep a pretty good GPA to keep scholarships. It's kinda up in the air. Arkansas will get me a work-study deal, and I can work at a course up there, my boss from my course will be an excellent reference.

I think I'm just too eager to get started, once I get out of college I'm definately gonna jump in head first, I'm just kinda wanting to dibble dabble in it some again. I can't keep up with it now, wrestling takes up soooooo much of my time. Maybe working up at a course up there would be my best bet. This is gonna have to take some serious thought. lol

Henry

EDIT: I would be solo, and only working say....2 days a week, it really depends on what my class schedule is.

5. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

your class schedule is key. this spring i scheduled my classes where i was only going 3 days a week. 2 classes mondays and weds (2pm-9:30pm) and 1 class on tuesday nights (5:30-9:30pm) plus one online class. This schedule allowed me to put effort into my business 3-4 days a week. I could work have worked half days on mondays and wed's too.

I went/go to a CC so your mileage may vary.

6. Let it Grow

Let it Grow LawnSite Senior Member

I graduated in June, but I started my business in early May. It would be way too much for me to do both school & run my business. It's a lot more than just lawn care...you gotta do a lot of paperwork to keep the business running. It just depends on how much you can handle, and how much of a social life you want to have...just remember C's get degrees!!!

7. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

I had my business established in my home town before i went to college, Miami of Ohio. Its an hour+ one way, which i make 2 times a week while in school.

Running a business can be done, and it can be done well. I currently have a 3.4 gpa, and will be a Junior this fall. Like you, i will only be working 2 days a week, which i planned due to limited time during school. I still have plenty of time to hang out with my fraternity brothers, train on my bike, and do many "extra ciricular" activities. Its enjoyable, but still stressful at the same time. I seriously recomend that you consider the business. If you are going to work, you ought to work for yourself...there is no feeling like it.

The only disapointment that i have with my school/business set up is that i have to drawn so much money out of my business. While i enjoy being able to pay for school, i always wonder what that money could have done for my business if i would have invested it into advertising and whatnot.

8. GLAN

GLAN Banned

Not an easy decision to make.

My first year at college, the only thing on my mind was work. So much so that I dropped out.

The following year. Did the same thing. Problem was once it came to fall cleanup, that had to be done.

The third year. After getting to know the Hort dept. very well the first 2 attempts. I payed the full amount for the credits and took the finals. None of the proffesors had a problem with it or my ability to do the lab work. I passed.

Reflecting on it now. I know I did not gain the full advantage doing it all correctly.

As for the English classes and other nonsense. I have a family member working in the State Education Dept.

9. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

This is the best thing about having a partner. Im going to college in a few years and hes going to a tech school now. So while im in college (studying landscape contracting) he will be running the business and when i can I will help him out. But he doesn't mind.

10. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

John, I would seriously consider re-thinking your arrangement. I tried doing what you are talking about, and it backfired on me HORRIBLY.