cuttin loose wit my new system

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Jul 23, 2005.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

time study, i did time study, and i did fatigue study. the clock showed me the time, my body showed me the fatigue. did you know that loud noise can cause fatigue, both mentally and physically? did you know that being exposed to different frequencies, different pitches, can cause fatigue, and stress? i decided that the most time consuming, and fatiguing part of our job is handling multiple pieces of equipment at one stop, and over and over and over, at every stop, all day long. i timed everything, and i saw that FOR MY lawns, it takes roughly 15 minutes to mow, but only about 6-7 minutes to wack, edge, and blow. these properties are 3, 4, 5, 6- 8 k properties, you can't have 2 guys mowing at the same time, and to have one guy in the back, and another in the front, then scramble for a wacker/edger/blower again , creates handling too many pieces of equipment at one stop. so, if it takes 15 min to mow, and only 6-7 minutes to wack/edge/blow, WHY THE HELL ARE THEY being done at the same time? isn't there side work that needs doing? REAL PROFITABLE stuff like mulch, trimming, etc? here is what i did. i created 2 crews. crew #1 (that's me) and crew #2= dos amigos. we leave the shop at the same time, crew #1 goes out mowing, crew #2 goes out trimming, mulching, whatever is lined up. crew #2 works from 8:30- 11:30, at a billable rate of $50-$60 an hour, per men. crew #1 goes mowing, ONLY MOWING, no wacking, no edging, or blowing, JUST MOW AND GO. crew #1 can pop off easily, without hustling, 3.5 lawns per hr. , without breaking a sweat. crew #1 pulls a 12 ft trailer with 2 mowers, and a gas can, and pulls it with an economy truck, not a freaking 8 cylinder dump truck with 14 wheels on it. crew #2 finishes up at around 11:30 with thier side job, and gets in an economy truck, equipped with 2 wackers, and edger, and a blower. they can travel thru town alot faster than crew #1, because they are not dragging a trailer. they go to the lawns that crew #1 already mowed, and they wack, edge, and blow. in 7 hrs crew #1 knocked off 24 lawns. crew #2 finishes these 24 lawns in under 3 hrs!. 24 lawns @$30 each= $720. crew #2 also generated $300 from 8:30-11:30 on the side work. this is a daily gross of $1030. crew #2 (your employees) worked a total of 14 man hrs that day, totalling about $182 including wc, and payroll, matching taxes etc. the daily operating cost OF MY BUSINESS, after employee payroll, is $55 per day. this includes everything, all insurences, truck depreciation, EVERYTHING. THIS LEAVES MY DAILY TAXABLE INCOME AT $793 FOR LESS THAN 7 HRS WORK. not only do all the lawns get done, but you are never behind on sidework, it's being done at the same time as the lawns. your attidude, and body feel much better at the end of the day, and you made alot more money. we used to have 3 guys in the truck at the same time doing lawns. no matter how hard we pushed, we could never get more than like 20, 21 in 7-8 hrs. try it. before one of you nimrods says, "oh, but you can't leave a mess at the customers house blah blah blah", what mess? most of the mess is caused from wacking and edging.

2. ajlandscaping

ajlandscaping LawnSite Member

i can see that works i know others on here have mentioned something bout hiring someone to go around and trim only it does sound like it would work very impressed on my part

i was expecting a different answer that would have been close to some ideas i have had but your idea seems very well thought out

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

For the right size props and operation, it has a lot of merit. I like it. Good thinking there bobby.

4. bobbygedd

from NJ

thanx rod. like i said, for me, it works great. i don't do the size stuff you do, or that some guys do. for my route, my equipment, and my size lawns, it works good.

5. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Never will work Bob. The reason is it makes sense and if eveyone did the same thing as you just suggested or even a majority they would be united in the way they operate. And we know that unions/ united are a big NO-NO in this field :D

6. bobbygedd

from NJ

you are so right. i told my idea to the jackass down the street, he said it was stupid. i then told it to this young guy in town who i really like, who just started last year, he has 3 guys (including him). he said it sounded great, but yesterday, i saw him mowing, while the other 2 monkeys were standing there waiting for him to finish, so they could blow, meanwhile, he complained he didn't have time to get the sidework done :dizzy: it don't matter, you can lead a horse to water, but can't make him drink?

7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I think I could tweek your idea bobby and maybe make it work with my props...gonna have to think about this some.

8. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

I think it's a good idea, Bobby. I saw someone post a question not long ago, asking if anyone did things like this. Sounds like you really did your homework. I am only a part time, back of the bus LCO, but I may give this a try next time I have help.

9. IN2MOWING

IN2MOWING LawnSite Member
    from Zone 6

It seems like a decent idea but arent you spending 2X the gas by going to each house twice?

10. bobbygedd

from NJ

i thought they booted you out of here? john? anyhow, yea, i mean no. gas costs roughly an additional $7 a day using my new system. remember, crew #2 uses an economy truck, and is not dragging a trailer. like mac said, most of you clowns will step over the dollars to pick up the pennies.