1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Cuttin Shrubs Back

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Turf Tamers, Mar 7, 2005.

1. Turf Tamers

Turf Tamers LawnSite Member

I was ask by a customer to cut back his shrubs and plant several annuals. The shrubs have started over taking the existing bed from the porch all the way to the trench line. If I cut them back they will appear to be bare on the front side until they grow back in. Does any one have a better idea other than to just trim them back and tell the customer they will grow back in in a few weeks?
  2. mcclureandson

mcclureandson LawnSite Member

If he wants them cut back explain they will be 'leggy' for awhile...however, before you take off a substantial amount of old growth be certain the shrub can withstand losing so much greenery. Depending on the variety, some can take cutting back nearly to the ground while others would die if treated so roughly. Determine the variety first and then prune accordingly...
  3. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

What kind of shrubs are they?

4. TScapes

TScapes LawnSite Senior Member

It all depends on the plant species. Most all hollies can withstand a "rejuvenation" as can several other varieties. You have to know what you are dealing with first, then make an action plan.
  5. cklands

cklands LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

I would definetly meet with the customer, show him where you will be making cuts and make sure he understands that they will not look all to hot until the fill in. i had a customer that wanted her rhody's cut down about 5 feet shorter in about 3 feet off the front. They didn't look so hot at first but after the new growth filled in they looked great. Just explain to them that where you make a cut you will get new growth.