Cutting 6"X6" treated posts

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Gene $immons, Mar 4, 2005.

1. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

What kind of saw would you use to cut these? I need to make nice 45 degree angles on some of the cuts. I was wondering if a chainsaw would be accurate enough? These things are 12' long and weigh a ton. Expensive too. My chopsaw is way too small and it can handle a 4X4.

2. ztoro

ztoro LawnSite Senior Member

if you have a 7 1/4 circular saw you could cut it from both sides.. or use the chainsaw.... if you have a steady hand it will do a fine job....

You can buy buy beam cutter attachment for a worm drive saw..... they can cut up to 12 inches.. like 130 bucs

3. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks, I may have to try my "steady hand" with the chainsaw.

4. neversatisfiedj

neversatisfiedj LawnSite Bronze Member

I always use a chainsaw - gets a good cut everytime

5. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

how about a reciprocating saw?

6. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

You can get some big azz circular saws that would do a nice job I'm sure...myself, only thing I've used is a chainsaw.... It has to be very sharp.

7. MarcusLndscp

MarcusLndscp LawnSite Senior Member

We have one of the "big azz" circular saws and it does pretty well, but it is a bit awkward and heavy. I hate using a chainsaw because I can never get it as perfect as I want it to be, I guess I don't have a steady enough hand with it. Have also used a regular skil saw and cut as far as it would go then just finished with a hand saw and some guide lines....probably my prefered method.

8. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

Marc .... If the piece is left a little long you can "butt" the two pieces together and then carefully run your chainsaw down the gap being careful not to go to deep on the face of the timbers.....perfect fit every time.

9. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

The best way to do this is take a 7 1/4" circular saw and cut all 4 sides (you will have to change the setup on the saw) then take a recipocating saw and get that middle 3/4". This will give you the best cut. Unless you have an extremely sharp chain on your saw you will never get a precise cut.

Chris

10. MarcusLndscp

MarcusLndscp LawnSite Senior Member

Oooops
    I misread the original statement. I thought he was trying to make a point on the top of a post by cutting all four sides. Actually he was just trying to make one 45 degree cut I think. Our "big azz" saw works great then. Or a sharp chainsaw as already stated.