Cutting a deep landscape bed

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by cutman2000, Apr 21, 2012.

1. cutman2000

cutman2000 LawnSite Member

Some guys swear to using only a regular string trimmer weed eater. How do you guys make your tree rings, bed rings, mulch rings? Do I have to use an edger? I do use my string trimmer for side walk edging, and it works fine for that. But never tried it for edging a flower bed, mulch bed-and it'll have to be deep(2"-3" deep) to look good.

2. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

Edging weekly as in grass cutting? Or cutting a new edge to prep for mulch?

Every week, or sometimes every other, we edge all the beds with a string trimmer to keep the edge crisp from the grass growing over.

As far as prepping for mulch, you're not going to get an edge with a trimmer. A walk behind edger is your best bet, but they're expensive. You can get a dang good edge with an edging spade, but it takes a little longer.

3. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Establish with an edging spade (looks like a half moon) and maintain it with the trimmer.:usflag:

4. Landgreen

Landgreen LawnSite Member

This is what you need. http://www.echo-usa.com/Products/Bed-Redefiners/BRD-280/Feature

We have used ours for the past few years and it works great. Very handy tool that makes short work of bed edging.

Dont bother with a spade unless you only have a limited amount of this type of work.

5. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Don't forget the 600 dollar price tag. I didn't buy one until it became part of the PAS system.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. LawnMan19

LawnMan19 LawnSite Gold Member

It is part of the PAS system, but you need the PAS-280.:)

7. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

I hate those BRD 280s. They don't leave a good edge, they lack power, they don't do anything if the soil is the slightest bit wet, and they fling material 200 feet.

8. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

The trim mower , maintains all the beds I go around... The edge has to be set up for the wheel of the trim mower... if not, make it so... works for me... :)

9. Landgreen

Landgreen LawnSite Member

Have fun with your shovel. Try edging 230 trees in one day with it.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

What I use is my Turf Teq bed groomer blade Every spring define the beds tree rings Then about mid summer I'll do it again then early fall in between the grooming I'll use a stick edger But the turf teq really gets down deep the stick edger helps keep the hang over cut back

Turf Teq does cost high but it saves so much time
    Sample use to groom one customer by hand about 3 hr job then bought a Brown bed groomer and same job took 2 hrs Then bought the Turf Teq The job was 45mins to 1 hr
    This about 10-15 mins to run the groomer rest of time is cleaning
    Clean up crew use wait on me Now I wait on the crew to clean up lot times I'll pitch in to clean up before use to get done about same time I hardly had to help on cleanup part