cutting after it rains(or sometimes when still raining)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnwizards, Jun 12, 2004.

1. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

How do you all go about this? do you cut no matter what or do you let the homeowner decide what they want? i cut 6 today right after a huge thunderstorm... only 1 complained... said "you wont be able to tell the grass has been cut after it dries out"... all responses appreciated..

LawnWizards.

2. LAWNS AND MOWER

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you use double blades??

3. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

i cut yesterday in the rain, it was pouring, it was fine expect for a few mishaps. and i cut 21+ lawns today, i cant even remember how many, and it rained all night and up till 11am or so today. it was fine, just made the grass heavyier and weighed down the truck more. but there was only a few houses that left tire tracks, all the others you couldnt tell it rained.

4. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

nope... no double blades... lawns looked perfect though.... some even better then when dry.... go figure...*lol*

5. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Premier, are you bagging all the time or only in the rain. I know that I have a problem mulching in the wet stuff.
    Last year this time still rain gear every day, no mulch kit--this year wearing a dust mask. Mulch kit on May 10. Last rain on my grass 45 days ago.

6. lawnchopper

lawnchopper LawnSite Member

unless its going to rain all day I still try to cut Yesterday we had one left and it was fri evening already and i wasnt going come back on sat and a monsoon hit just as we were starting. Earlier that day we pulled the dble blades off our Walker and pulled off the baffles and just discharged we took our blowers and blew the clumps apart of course when we got done it stopped monsooning. We were worried the homeowner would be pissed but he was happy to get it done and it looked fine.

IF it rains when we have big propertys we at least go and trim them so at least we get the grunt work done

7. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

I will mow in the rain on areas that don't really matter. Like retentions ponds on commercial accts.

resi accounts I don't cut until the rain has stopped and they dry out a little. Thankfully in Florida that only means an hour or so.

I agree with Lawnchopper, you can always edge and trim makes the return trip much easier.

8. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

Up until about 11:00 am all my cuts are in the wet...they all have irrigation and are still damp from the nites watering. Cutting damp/wet grass is not a problem....

9. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

PMLAWN, I bag all the time unless the homeowner asks to have it mulched. The reason I bag, is because latley no matter what the lawn is somewhat damp, but enough to mulch if i wanted, but i think that the bag looks better, also the grass has been growing like crazy so I need to bag. theres only one home that i mulch, and it is because i hate the house and im hoping that he will drop me, its in detroit and i dont like having my equipment on those extremly narrow streets and having people give me dirty looks. even though it only takes 5minutes, it just is not worth it.

anyway, back to your question, yes, i bag all my lawns, execpt the detroit one.

10. LWNMWR1

LWNMWR1 LawnSite Member

i think of rain as a free shower. if too cold put on the rain gear and keep on getting it. we do try to break for t-storms if we hear them!!!