1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

cutting after seeding

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rdran5, Aug 24, 2004.

1. On average how long do you guys wait after seeding to cut, I am planting winter rye, I have had several customers ask me to aerate and seed, but I don't wont to mess up my cutting schedule
    I normally bag, should I mulch if cutting after I seed.

Thanks for the input
    Rich Landscapes
  2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

with new grass, I usually always wait until it is at least 3 1/2 inches or higher.
  3. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

I usually seed right after I get done cutting one day. I then skip the next cut and allow the new grass to grow out for at least 14 days or so. I guess the real answer would be whether the new grass has germinated or not yet. If there has been no water on it and it hasn't sprouted yet good then you might not want to cut it.
  4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

oh, I thought this was for a new lawn...my bad. Sorry about that
  5. Thanks tiedeman and ECM, Ensuring the germination is more important than cutting, I just hope the fescue doesn't go crazy waiting for the rye to come in, Thanks again guys

Rich Landscapes
  6. Cutters Lawn Care

Cutters Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Why don't you wait until October and overseed with fescue and rye at the same time?
  7. Here in my zone, which is transitional, everyone seems to have great results planting winter rye in fall and fescue in spring, last winter my yard was green all winter and I actually cit up until the first week of December. I mid to late march plant fescue and so the cycle goes. What you are saying is plant both in fall, the fescue will just compete with the rye, right. I also have some older customers that insist on winter rye in september, thanks for the advice
  8. Cutters Lawn Care

Cutters Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

We plant both here in the fall. Sept 15th-Oct 15 are the peak times to plant fescue and winter rye here. I try to get it done bye the first week in October so it can get established some before the leaf season comes in November. Alot of people try to put out fescue here in April and May and it just doesn't get established before the summer heat thins it out really bad.
  9. Thanks Cutter, I wil let you know how it turns out, this is my first year planting grass for someone else, kinda nervous don'r want to mess it up.
  10. Ray & Karen

Ray & Karen LawnSite Member

I'd cut the fescue down a little lower than normal. That would also allow the seed to more easily meet the soil, and would give you the two week grace period that you would need to allow the Rye to germinate.