1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Cutting along state highway

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jimbo, Jun 13, 2002.

1. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

I have the oppourtunity to cut a few corporate accounts which own business's along major highways. Does anyone know what the rules are for cutting along State highway property? I live in Maryland but would be curious of laws in any state.
    Anyone know what department to call with the State to find out for sure?

2. Grass_Slayer

Grass_Slayer LawnSite Member

i have a factory on the side of hwy 45 here in town. the plant manager sad that their prop goes to the hwy., so mow up to the ditch beside the hwy. i dont think it would be illegal if u mowed it. u might want to check though

if the statedoesnt mow it then it will start to look bad and the customer will complain to u.
  3. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

Good point Grass Slayer.

Anyone else already cutting similar accounts? Anyone know the legal side of it?
  4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I have been cutting along MD 253 for years now. I have neither seen or heard from the state about it and it's very obvious that the state is not maintaining this strip of grass. The only problem they would have would be safety issues. If it is a high speed road, 40 and up, make sure you put up warning signs before getting close to the road surface.
  5. JasperStorm

JasperStorm LawnSite Member
    from WA

The closer you get to the busy roads, the more OSHA compliant you need to be (or at least appear to be.)
  6. TFL

TFL LawnSite Member

I don't see why there would be a lwaw against it. the way i look at it the state probaly likes it it is less for them to mow.
  7. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

TFL: I dont think the state is worried about not having to mow it, they are worried about the liability end of it. If you were on their prop. and you hit a hidden rock, which in turn smashed a car window, which in turn caused an accident, who would be liable. The state doesnt want that question. I would contact the State Public Works Dep.

HOWARD JONES LawnSite Member

Every single property you mow has a city easement a number of feet back from the street, yet the "owner" has to mow it. I don't think we have anything to worry about here.
  9. Dennis E.

Dennis E. LawnSite Senior Member

In Wisc. when we mowed out to any roads(major),if any "state" guys happened to be going by they would stop and ***** that we were taking away work from them.

Here in Fl. I have several commercial accounts that are on a major east/west hwy. that runs into Tampa. The guys that mow ROW,(contracted out here), love it. Less work for them. The customers are happier with the mowing going out to the road instead of being left for the crews that cut ROW. (They only hit it about every two months.)
  10. Rowdy_Yates

Rowdy_Yates LawnSite Member

I work for the Tennessee Department of Transportation and as far as I know there is no written rule on this subject. Lots of property owners mow to the edge of the highway around here and I've never heard a complaint from our Maintenance Engineer. I think their main cocern would be safety. Most all of our ROW is mowed by contractors now and they're only required by contract to hit it so many times per season therefore it doesn't look that great most of the time. Most home owners and business owners want things to look better than that in front of there place.

I don't think TDOT cares if people mow it as long as they practice safety and don't throw any rocks toward the highway while mowing.

My 2 cents.