Cutting along State road frontage for customer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jimbo, May 1, 2003.

1. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

Im just wondering how many people are asked to cut along the road (major highway) by commercial customers. If you do is there a contract involved? Any special stipulation?

Here the situation:
    For the past few years I have been cutting a commercial prop that borders a major highway. There is a fence that seperates the property from the road, and when the grass/ weeds grow up along the roadside area the customers sign is less visible to the public. I have had a verbal contract to cut the roadside area as necessary to keep the weeds down, and so far I have had no problems with the state in doing this type of work.
    Now the customer has someone new in charge of maintenace and they would like a contract to be written for the work I perform. My concern is that I would be signing a contract to perform work on property that the customer does not actually own. This is a big money account so walking away is a difficult option.

Anyone with a similar situation that has advice?

2. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Granted the business doesnt own the property down to the hiway, however I see no problem keeping the appearance of such property up for the sake of asthetics. Most home owners dont actually own the easments around their property, however towns actually dictate that they must maintain lawns, trees and bushes on such. IMO as long as you have insurance and everything else in order, put the roadfront in the contract and have them pay for it.

3. henry2002

henry2002 LawnSite Member

I do not see any problem with you mowing the state right away. It will just be less grass for the state to mow. The contract is between the company and you, not the state and you. Just add for the extra mowing.

4. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

Same thing I was thinking guys.

Do you think there should be a clause stating work will cease immediatley if notified by the City or State to stop cutting?

5. STAN1366

STAN1366 LawnSite Senior Member

Do you think there should be a clause stating work will cease immediatley if notified by the City or State to stop cutting? [/B][/QUOTE]

Absolutely! Something like this should have an "escape" clause just in case the state has any kind of problem with it. I've got 1 account(residential-24 yrs) where he has me mow the edge of the road about 400' , 4' wide so the town won't come by and cut the vegatation down w/ a sickle. Where the town does this, they just leave what ever they cut down. They told the customer if he maintained at least 2' along the road, they would not cut the rest down. Apparently one year a new guy was operating the mower and cut the high brush down and made a heck of a mess. One call to the highway dept. and a crew was there after 5pm on a Friday night cleaning it all up. Last time they did that!