Cutting back a overgrown hedge of Magnolias

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by 2k1yzfr1, Nov 4, 2004.

1. 2k1yzfr1

2k1yzfr1 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a client that has a hedge of magnolias that are about 25' tall and wants them "trimmed" normally we trim them 2 times a year but this year they will only get trimmed once. Normally we keep them at about 20', but is there anyway that I could cut them back to 12' so they could be easier to maintain in the future. When is a good time to do this if it can be done??
  2. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

If you do it just before summer heat comes, the bark can get sunburn if it can't acclimatize or has too little time to resprout and shade bark.

That's about all I think I should share on this without seeing the hedged trees.
  3. blafleur

blafleur LawnSite Member

I defer to M. Vaden, he's a lot more knowledgeable in trees than me, but I cant imagine cutting back magnolias by half and not destroying them. In fact, its hard for me to even picture cutting magnolias back to a hedge. What type are they?

4. polecat63

polecat63 LawnSite Silver Member

I agree. Topping trees is bad bidniz and can't think of any shrub like Magnolias.