Cutting back Hollies

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by HLM86, Mar 13, 2008.

1. HLM86

HLM86 LawnSite Member

I have a customer that wants 4 large hollies cut back. They are about 8 feet tall and she wants them to 3-4 feet. There are multiple stems and hardly any foliage at 3-4 feet. If I cut this low are they going to die? If so what is my next best option? She wants them below a window they are partially blocking. Thanks for any help.

2. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

They probably won't die but if you prune them that hard on a central leader, you might as well advise your customer that you'll remove them and replace with a more suitable plant. They'll sprout ugly suckers off a cut like that and the plant will basically be ruined.

3. TScapes

TScapes LawnSite Senior Member

Hollies? Should not be a problem, especially if you do it now. It depends on what variety of holly you are refering to as to how quickly it will recover. If it's a nellie r. stevens or a burfordii, then rejuvenation will be quick. If it is a foster, american or a smaller leaf, it may not be as quick. Just make sure you make clean cuts, nothing jagged. Also, it would also help to apply some good all purpose fert around the existing drip line, not at the base. Make sure it is time released and has micro-nutrients in it.

Have fun!