cutting back hydrangeas??

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by clif10, Apr 6, 2009.

1. clif10

clif10 LawnSite Member

i had to transplant a endless summer hydrangea, i bought it as a 3 gallon and its been in the ground for about 3-4 years. i went ahead and cut it back to about 3" from the ground after i moved it. there is new growth, but i was wondering what to expect from the plant now ?

2. Fahzu

Fahzu LawnSite Member

Not sure exactly what you would like to know, but I figure it should come back fine. They can handle the hard pruning every year as far as I know.

3. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

You may not get much flowering this year. Some hyrdangas only flower on old wood, while some others will flower on old and new wood. Why did you cut it back so hard?

4. Danscapes

Danscapes LawnSite Senior Member

You will be ok, I cut down endless summers every fall down to about a foot and they do just fine. That is how they are suppose to be pruned.

5. MingoValley

MingoValley LawnSite Member

You should have thinned it out as well. Eliminate some of the old wood and this will enhance the new flower growth. As far as cutting them that low this time of year, you more than likely have removed the buds as well as I see the old growth covered in new buds. Hopefully the new ground growth will produce flowers for the customer.

You should know the basics of pruning: old wood, cross overs, etc.

6. clif10

clif10 LawnSite Member

the plant is at my house now. i figured id cut it hard this year cause of the relocation, my parents didnt prune it at all!

7. BostonBull

BostonBull LawnSite Senior Member

I wouldnt have cut it that hard. The transplant will stress the plant enough without your heavy handed pruning.

was the plant too big for your liking? Why so low?

8. clif10

clif10 LawnSite Member

just a fresh start i guess

9. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

will it survive more than llikely will it bloom yes will it bloom pretty and full probably not no big deal know you know.

10. BostonBull

BostonBull LawnSite Senior Member

just because you have pruning and sheers and have seen it done doesn't mean you should do it.

if that theory is correct, then yu should let a kindergarten student cut your hair....they have seen it done and use scissors all the time.