cutting back liriope(monkey grass)..your approach

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by GarPA, Mar 28, 2004.

1. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

I hate cutting this stuff back. I have one of our commercial properties that has this stuff all over and its big and mature.Both my helpers will be on another job next week and I;ll have to do this cleanup by myself. Usually I'll cut them back with the gas hedge shears.

Have any of you tried tying they up like we do ornamental grasses before we cut them?

I;m all ears for an easier approach to cutting this miserable stuff....thanks

2. NAT

NAT LawnSite Member
    from Zone 7

TAKE push mower with bagger ,suck and clean,hope it helps and astring trimmer works the best for me.

3. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

I also like to mow and bag them,if I can get to them.Almost lost a thumb,(BLED LIKE A STUCK HOG),holding monkey grass up while wife cut it with gas hedgetrimmers.:(

4. Harry0

Harry0 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

line trimmer-you can stand up and wack away-Harry

5. BW4486

BW4486 LawnSite Member

Most types of lirope once they get over grown the best choice is to dig them up , seperate them and replant. But with mondo (Monkey) grass you can just cut it way back and it will grow back

6. thill

thill LawnSite Member

BW4486 hit it square on.

They dig up relatively easily, seperate very easily and look fantastic with a bit of space between em.

There will be a lot of em left over to be transplanted or transported to another site

7. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

Best way I've found is about a 10% glyphosate solution sprayed over the top in a very liberal manner.:D

If that's not acceptable, mowing is the only way I know how. Our hedge shears don't do well in the stuff....

Dan

8. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

We cut alot of Loriope back last week. I used primarily hedge trimmers and it took its toll on my already bad back bending over holding 30 inch trimmers all day. Weed wackers work but make more of a mess in the process. Thank god we are almost done with spring cleanups. My back cant take any more!!!

9. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

I APOLOGIZE FOR NOT REMEMBERING TO POST THIS .....this stuff is normally a back bending hassle....well yesterday I said screw this and got out the split shaft echo...bored a larger hole for the .10 shin ripping line....and went at it....again, this was BIG liriope..at least a foot across and thick

this is not BS...I first trimmed it vertically getting the outside growth knocked off (be VERY careful. as this line is wicked)...raked it out...then went back at the tops...raked it out...then did a final trim....30 plus BIG lirope cut, trimmed, neat , and tarped to the trailer in less than 1 hour.....and thats no bull.....

just wanted to share this with all of you who have been so helpful to me over the past few years....try it....you might be amazed how well this works......I;m actually kind of proud of myself in that those of you who know me know that I'm not one to push the limits on a particular tool application.....amazing what some of our tools will do for us....did I lower my price,,,,NO,...but watch your face/teeth...this line is not people friendly

10. clay duncan

clay duncan LawnSite Senior Member

i use a stihl weedeater with an articulating hedge trimmer attachment. rotate hedge trimmer to ground level and trim away. i just trimmed around 200ft. of monkey grass in about 30 min. and never had to bend over until time to rake it up. one of the best pieces of equipment i have bought to date..... clay