Cutting back Maiden Grass

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by arblazeman, Mar 7, 2008.

1. arblazeman

arblazeman LawnSite Member
    from Ar

Got a call from a guy who has 25 mature Maiden Grass and he wants them trimmed back. They are all easily accessible. I have no idea how much to charge. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

2. yardmanlee

yardmanlee LawnSite Senior Member

depending on how big ? estimate your labor rate, I bidded for a hoa 32 grasses to be cut back and bid it for $10 per clump, should take my guys just over an hr. to do all of them

3. Chill "Cuts" Lawn Care

Chill "Cuts" Lawn Care LawnSite Member
    from NC

Is Maiden Grass like Pampas Grass? I hate that stuff? Any tips on how to cut that stuff back without it taking forever to clean it up? I have a friend of mine that has about 25-30 LARGE Pampas grass clumps in his yard and I cut them back and cleaned up the mess last year for him for $200. Won't make that mistake again!!! More like $500 - $600.

4. BUCKEYE MOWING

BUCKEYE MOWING LawnSite Bronze Member

You need to tie or duct tape the bundle in the middle and then take your hedge trimmers to it.....we then throw the bundle on the tarp and drag them to the trailer. This method works well for all the grass types...

5. yardmanlee

yardmanlee LawnSite Senior Member

never used duct tape before just a rope make a slipknot pull it tight and cut away

6. TScapes

TScapes LawnSite Senior Member

I've never used duct tape either. You must have forgot your rope that day!:nono:

We have several pre-cut lengths of rope with loops on the end. We tie up each grass and then throw them on a tarp. You can do several clumps quickly this way, with little or no clean up. 25 clumps, if they are all in the same area, shouldn't take more than a couple of hours at the most.

7. Chill "Cuts" Lawn Care

Chill "Cuts" Lawn Care LawnSite Member
    from NC

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I like the rope and/or duct tape idea. I think it would be a good idea to have as many lengths of rope as bundles of grass. That way when the bundles get tossed on the trailer/truck you don't have to "unbundle" them until you get them to their final resting place. Thanks again for the replies/suggestions! I really appreciate it.

JC

8. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Maiden grass is easy. Use gas powered hedge clippers (hopefully you have some). Even if they are large in diameter it only takes way under a minute to cut each one. If the wind isn't blowing don't mess with tying up or duct tape, just cut and drop. Then just gather up with your arms. I just cut 100+ grasses yesterday.

Yes, I used to use Duct tape, pull straps, rope, you name it when cutting pampas grass and other larger grasses. Finally found that it's just faster and easier to cut and drop. (It took longer to prep each clump with the tape or rope than it did to cut and haul to the truck!) If you use your legs and arms you can easily keep the large stuff like pampas in a bundle to pick up. Oh a medium sized tarp also is great, can thro multiple clumps on it and then fold it like a taco and carry it to the truck.

9. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

I wrap a bunjee cord around and cut with hedge trimmer.

10. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

good ideas with the rope and bungee for the clumps, might try this in windy conditions. most the the time i have a laborer hold the clump and i carefully using a one sided hedge trimmer cut away from him and he then lays it on the tarp, repeat till full and drag it to the trailer. but when windy, this sucks so i will use the idea. thanks guys