1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Cutting back on expenses?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MudslinginFX4, Aug 29, 2004.

1. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

OK everyone, lets hear it. What are some of the areas that you have been able to cut back on and save some money? I'm getting to the point that it's not about having the best looking truck, or the best trailer, it's about having the most money in my personal checking account so I can enjoy the things in life in which I work for. I have done several things to cut back and save money. Not giving out as many t-shirts to employees, routing the yards each day so that I am in one area (not giving the customer a choice on which day I will be there), buying the things I use the most in mass amounts (blades, mower parts, string, etc..) buying things off of the internet that I can save money on such as shovels, rakes, etc. What are some of the things you do to save?
  2. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i've always thought it was rediculous to have a 30-40k truck, and 30k worth of equipment to go out and mow lawns for $25-$30( that's the rates here anyhow). seems like a constant tailchase to me. i make my money by keeping overhead down to pennies
  3. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

dont eat out as much.

dont smoke cigs.-$2000 a year alone

purchased a beater of a car-We'll see how this one works.. I paid after plates and everything $1000, but i get 35 miles per gallon compared to 10-11 with the truck. It is my transportation to and from college which is 100miles away.

just a few

4. MudslinginFX4

Trevor, what are some of the things you do to cut back on the business expenses though? I don't mind spending money on my personal things such as a nice car to drive, and going out to nice resturants, but I don't want to keep throwing money down the drain on things for my employess to enjoy or just added expenses that I don't need in the business.
  5. dkeisala

dkeisala LawnSite Senior Member

1) Tight routes & customized budgeted man hours per account

2) '04 F350 w/ 6yd dump body to increase hauling capacity/decrease trips to the dump

3) Add Walker MT in fall '03

4) All accounts serviced in 3 days to minimize mileage and maximize fuel savings

5) Developed monthly financial budgets and revenue tracking

6) Switched chemical suppliers and only buy what we need when we need it (limits and controls financial outlay throughout the year)

7) Implemented use of pre-emergents in beds and lawn to minimize man hours spent spraying for weed control

8) Purchased a dethatcher to maximize revenue, increase flexibility and decrease rental cost

9) Implemented preventative maintenance and cleaning schedule

10) Purchased digital camera and a process for someone other than me to do estimates
  6. printer88

printer88 LawnSite Member

I don't have all the nice things that most of you guys have.I drive a 1990 f-150,with a 6x12 open trailer.And I mow with a JD HD45
    48'' cut wb.My 2 cycle stuff is Husky.This equipment gets the job done.I make a good living and try to stick some money back in case I get into a bind.My best cost cutting method is the luxury to have someone who helps me part-time when they are off from their day job.So I schedule my big stuff that I can't do alone for those days.The other times I am a simple one man crew.I love this business because once you get established and have a good dependable client base you can work when you want to work not all the time because you have stuff to make payments on.
  7. dkeisala

dkeisala LawnSite Senior Member

And THATS what it's all about. Success is about sacrifice. For most of us, you can't have one without the other.
  8. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

cut back on expenses??!! I don't think I could do that if I got paid to cut back.. My neighbor just bought matching Polaris snowmobiles.. I will be buying one before the winter now also..

I like to keep up with or above the neighbor's and the other LCO's in town.
  9. MudslinginFX4

It must suck to have to live your life to a comparison and to impress others. While most things I buy are very nice (nicer then a lot of my neighbors) I buy stuff because I want it, not because Bill next door has it. However, I can’t say I’ve always been like this, I used to be very unhappy with what I had doing it your way! :dizzy:
  10. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

It's not really to impress them..

I just like toys.. I always want new toys.. When someone else gets something I want, I feel like I just justified buying my new toy lol