cutting & bending steel Colmet edging

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Armadillolawncare, Jun 12, 2008.

1. Armadillolawncare

Armadillolawncare LawnSite Senior Member

What do you guys use to cut 14 ga steel Colmet edging out on a job site? Also what are some tricks to get a good 90 degree bend?

2. Summit L & D

Summit L & D LawnSite Senior Member

Hack saw and file to smooth the edges. Our trailers have a square tubing top rail, so we take the edging and bend it over that. Perfect edge every time

3. Armadillolawncare

Man a hack saw takes forever. I am going to try a bolt cutter. My new trailer will have square tubing so I will give that a try.

4. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

I get it started with the hack saw and then bend it over the edge of something. I try to avoid 90 degree angles, just think it looks so much cleaner.

5. crab

crab LawnSite Senior Member

a 4.5 inch grinder ,cut on the inside of you're bend ,hack saw ?are you ******** you need to remove enough metal to actually bend it back into itself.is there any one left on hardscaping that actually does hardscapes!A square and a pipe wrench help to.:dizzy:

6. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Have tried numerous things. Angle grinder = messy. Circular saw with metal blade = useless.

We used a Dewalt reciprocating saw now, and won't ever use anything else. If we have to do a 90degree turn, we cut the bottom end up half way, helps the bend a little bit.

7. Armadillolawncare

I like the reciprocating saw idea.

8. barefootlawnsandlandscape

barefootlawnsandlandscape LawnSite Senior Member

Reciprocating saw here. Nothing better! We don't use colmet, we get
    1/4"x4"x20' galvanized pieces from the local steel yard.

9. Bigred350

Bigred350 LawnSite Senior Member

10. crab

crab LawnSite Senior Member

love to see you're 90 degree cuts,god speed !:laugh: