1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Cutting Bent Grass

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ULTIMATE LAWN, Jul 6, 2003.

from AL

I have a customer who insists on having her lawn cut at 1.5" because she has Bent Grass. According to her this grass can only be cut properly at very low settings due to its horizontal growth.

We have accomodated her & her lawn is now burnt as I advised her it would be if we cut at this height. She still insists on having it cut at 1.5" & seems somewhat obsessed with her perception that this is the only way to cut bent grass.

I could care less & will continue to kill her lawn if she so wishes, however I am curious if she is correct.
  2. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't you know the customer is ALWAYS right??!!!!
  3. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Yes, bent needs to be cut short. It also needs to be verti-cut, topdressed, aerated, and have fertilizer and fungicide applications. It is a HIGH maintenance turf. It requires a reel mower to mow it since it likes heights less than 1". It also will not tolerate hot weather. Most bent in home lawns is considered a weed. Lower the height gradually and see if that doesn't help. Too bad you can't talk her out of maintaing it in her lawn. good Luck!

4. MuskTurfKing

MuskTurfKing LawnSite Senior Member

Haha, good ol' bent grass. Our greens are bent, and I'm in Oklahoma! It's been close to 100 for the past week here. And yes, they are VERY high maintenence. I have no idea why they put bent grass in, I think my boss said it sets the ball up better? When it's HOT, I have to put at least a small amount of water on them every 30 minutes. But it will survive in hot weather, if you want to never do anything but water it to keep it cool. :p

We have trouble keeping ours healthy, we had dollar spots on them pretty bad, and we got something on one of them. Fairy Rings? I think that's the boss called it. Maintaining ours is a full time job. I water them 8 hours a day. The collar around the green is also bent grass...it's cut at......an inch or so? It's a lot easier to keep green, but I'm sure she needs to water it every single day.

Grassmechanic said it as an understatement when he said it's a HIGH maintenence grass. Heck, it's my full time job!

LA LAWNS LawnSite Member

what is bent grass?:confused:
  6. rvsuper

rvsuper Senior Member

What is bentgrass?

We use it for putting greens, collars, and mix with dwarf kentucky bluegrass up in the north.

I have to syringe greens about once every 2 hours if it's over 90 here. Doesn't take long with my quick coupler at every green though.
  7. MuskTurfKing

MuskTurfKing LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, we got quick couplers at all our greens too, but man, you're quite lucky, our greens need to be syringed a lot more often than every two hours. So far on the hottest day we've had, I had to hit them every 30 minutes to make sure they didn't get hot. Full time job for me.
  8. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

Agrostis palustris is the latin name for creeping bentgrass. There are several species and a multitude of variations.
    Provided you will rotary mow bentgrass, you blades have to be sharp and your ground speed very slow.
    Your customer is incorrect that bentgras needs to be mown below 1.5" as it willl adapt and aerailly tiller quite well at 1.5".
    Interesting point of bentgrass - it is the only known C3 turfgrass that can survive with the crown under water for up to thirty days.
    The reason bentgrass is used in more southern climates for putting greens is due to the manner in which a ball will roll on this turf as compared to Bermudagrass.
    The reason syringing is necessary is most of the older bentgrass varieties will turn a purple color when hot as the turf does not have a good tolerance for heat stress.
    By applying a light amount of water, called syringing, crown and foliar temperatures are positively effected - meaning lowered - by the process known as advection cooling.
    Bentgrass is a good turf for putting greens, and if you know what you are doing, will survive higher temps well.
  9. 1.5 inches is way to tall for bent grass.You sure it isn't bermuda?
    Bent must be cut with a reel mower because no rotary mower will cut short enough.Plus it should be a 11 reel mower.If you use a rotary mower on it.You pretty much killed it.Bent is a very high dollar lawn .1 fifty pound bag of penncross creeping bent goes for over $6.00 a pound and most places like lesco will only sale it in 50lb bag.Better hope she doesn't want you to replace it.
  10. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Bent grass on a residential lawn in Alberta, Canada? Now that's a new one on me cause I thought bent grass was a warm weather type and wouldn't grow too well north of the continuous 48...

You did correct me last week in a thread referring to 2-cycle equipment (snow blowers, I believe) when I questioned where you were from. I thought AL was referring to Alabama and you corrected me by saying you were in Alberta.

Bent or Bermuda grass in Alabama? No problem with that. Bent or Bermuda grass (residential, not a golf course) in Alberta, Canada I have a tough time believing...